How can one user block another user?

I recently had a needlessly negative interaction with another user of this site. I would like to avoid this in the future.

Is it possible for me as a user to block another user here in Discourse Meta? By “block” I mean prevent seeing their content and prevent them seeing my content?

If so, how please? If not, I would please ask this thread to change from a support request to a feature request.

Thank you.

2 Likes

You can’t block someone from seeing your posts (if you did, they could just log out to see them anyway), but you can ignore their content by visiting their profile and selecting the ignore option here:

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 8.02.48 PM

This will prevent you from being notified about this person and will hide their posts.

Also, if you’re having a problem with someone on Meta for any reason, feel free to send a message to anyone on the Team if you think it’s something we can help with (admins are listed on About - Discourse Meta).

6 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply. I see no dropdown below the “Message” button on the user’s “meta.discourse.org/u/USERNAME” page.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 17.08.49

Hmmm, is it possible that this person is an admin or a moderator? you wouldn’t be able to ignore them in that case.

2 Likes

This is an old thread but hoping someone can help me - I’m new to the Discourse platform and have just started running a forum, is there any way users can use the ‘ignore’ feature for other users?

2 Likes

Hi @AlexL1

Yes, does the solution as described above not work for you?

5 Likes

Just an additional note that the availability of the Ignore feature is influenced by the ignore allowed groups admin setting, and defaults to include the TL2 group (so those Trust Level 2 and higher will have that option).

3 Likes

Does an FR to permit that use case exist? I ask because regardless of whether it’s a theoretically positive idea to be using an instance moderated by someone personally considered worth ignoring, it’s occasionally a necessity.

There’s a feature topic here on similar:

4 Likes