How to flag for reopening?

Continuing the discussion from Autobiographer badge issue update:

Just wondering: how would one do that? There is no such flag yet, though I can imagine it would be useful. I suppose you would use the ‘other’ flag and state a reason?

2 Likes

Click the flag icon below the post and ask moderators to re-open it.

5 Likes

That’s interesting, as you know I had a similar need a few days ago with the topic about group members count. Should one use the “Other” flag option? Without an indication that this behavior is possible or even the recommended way, it’s difficult for users to adopt it.

1 Like

That’s my point as well. I can understand what @zogstrip says, that you would need to choose other, but that’s not intuitive.

1 Like

Well, the current copy is

Something Else
This post requires staff attention for another reason not listed above.

Seems to me the meaning of “another reason” is clear enough.
But I may be too used to the feature and am missing something.

I guess it could read more explicitly, but it would likely become TL;DR if every “another reason” was listed.

How would you propose making it more intuitive? “yet another button”?

2 Likes

True, but the reasons above are all about negative impacts. It makes
me feel (as a user) the whole flagging thing is for bad stuff. Not just to
alert the mod ‘hey please, reopen the topic’.

4 Likes

Too bad that can’t be done a second time… I had flagged topic 27636 once, then needed to flag it for reopening again, but can’t.

(the issue raised in that topic still exists today)

1 Like

Fair problem, workarounds are

1. Reply to the original PM discussing the flag
  2. Flag a different post in the topic
  3. Send @sam a PM
2 Likes

We have discussed in the past adding “custom” flag reasons to the dialog, this may be a candidate for it.

Additionally, it’s possible that:

1. This is not a big enough issue to worry about
  2. We can make a plugin that adds a “please reopen the bug” button at the bottom of closed bug topics
  3. We possibly can allow “categories” to have a “custom closed canned text” so when we close “bugs” it displays: "This bug has been closed, if you find it is still an issue on latest versions of Discourse flag this topic with ‘other…’ and tell us why.
6 Likes