Install Discourse on Plesk(Ubuntu 18.04 LTS)

Hello Guys,

i have followed the Install Tutorial for Plesk Onyx (Ubuntu 14.04), but i had many problems.

Now i have everything working on my Plesk and i decided to make a new Tutorial(Mail with the Plesk Mail Server)

1. Set options in Plesk

2. Install Docker

• Go to Extensions.
    docker_1

• Search for Docker and install the extension. Now you have Docker as menu point in the side menu.
    docker_2

3. Install Discourse

Now you need an ssh access to your server who is Plesk hosted.
My example data:
Domain: forum.domain.tld
E-Mail: mail@domain.tld
E-Mail: password123

• Download the git.

sudo -s
    git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
    cd /var/discourse

• Now we must edit the setup script.

nano discourse-setup

• Scroll down to this:
    setup_before

• And change it to this:

• Exit with STRG+X and type Y then press enter to save the file.

• Launch the setup.

./discourse-setup

• Now answer some questions.

Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: forum.domain.tld
    Email address for admin account(s)? [me@example.com,you@example.com]: mail@domain.tld
    SMTP server address? [smtp.example.com]: Plesk (Yeah write Plesk in the line)
    SMTP port? [587]: 25 (The Port from the Mailserver in Plesk is 25)
    SMTP user name? [user@example.com]: mail@domain.tld
    SMTP password? [pa$$word]: password123
    Let's Encrypt account email? (ENTER to skip) [me@example.com]: (to skip this press enter)

• It takes a while, wait until you get back to the command line. The Docker container fails to start. It doesn’t matter. Now we change the app.yml to work with Plesk.

nano containers/app.yml

• Change the Ports and comment two lines. Before:

• After:

• Exit with STRG+X and type Y then press enter to save the file.

• It’s time to rebuild the container.

./launcher rebuild app

1. Change the hosts File in the docker emulation.
  • Now we change the hosts file, so discourse can use the Plesk Mail Server. Enter the Docker container.

./launcher enter app

• Wait until the command line comes back. Now we install nano.

apt-get install nano

• Let us change the hosts file.

nano /etc/hosts

• add the last line:
    hosts
  • Exit with STRG+X and type Y then press enter to save the file
  • Exit the container

exit

1. Change the Plesk Proxy settings

I hope i can help somebody.

Greetings from germany

PS: Thanks to Google Translator :smiley:

12 Likes

@Vault1337 Ich bekomme es nicht zum laufen wäre super wenn du mir helfen konntest danke.

Hi!

Still getting:
“WARNING:: This server does not appear to be accessible at discourse.domain.com:443

Even if I changed checked ports in discourse-setup, and opened 8060 and 9443 in the firewall.

The subdomain discourse.agoraludica.eu is accessible from the internet.

Is there something like an IP to whitelist?

I now use Plesk Obsidian on Ubuntu 20 and the only setting I need to tweak to allow Discourse to work along other web applications is to add a proxy rule that redirects the port 80 to another (8060 in my case) - and of course, the redirections as well of the port 8060 → 80 and 9443 → 443 in app.yml.
Also, the SSL certificate is automatically renewed without any additional action.
It’s way simpler than before.

2 Likes

You’ll need to edit app.yml yourself and

./launcher rebuild app

Discourse-setup works only for a standard installation.

1 Like

Those lines tell discourse to ignore your proxy servers address and report the address of the actual computer making the request.

The let’s encrypt issue, is because you need not to pass that request to discourse but to the let’s encrypt client that the reverse proxy is running. You could probably add some stuff to tell it to handle that /well-known request itself. Perhaps you’re friends W can help figure that out

1 Like

Hi,

Solved this issue restarting the docker service on host, to force a rebuilding of the nerwork bridge.

1 Like

Hi,

Unfortunately I’m not receiving the email to activate.
When I use all email settings on Outlook it’s functional but when I use the same settings I don’t receive anything.

I did exactly what you wrote but there aren’t even mail data in logs.

Anyone else has this issue?

Gibt es nen Update für Ubuntu 20.X & Plesk 18.X … bekomme das alte how to dort leider nicht so hin

Maybe my updated reply can help you:

4 Likes

Would u Help me to Install it - I just cant get it to work

It is very possible that a VPS provider has a Plesk or OS configuration that needs different configurations than mine to make Discourse work.
I’d be able to help you through the forum, but not via another way, and I’m also not available for work. But please, be aware that I’m not a Discourse expert, neither a Linux expert, and neither a Plesk expert.

If you want more help through the forum though, you need to provide more information:

1. Is Discourse installed?

2. Did you apply any kind of what is described in the very first topic? Because it is very possible that this information is outdated. As I said, I had to do almost nothing to have Discourse working.

3. What error message returns the forum when you open the URL? Can you share the URL if public?

4. Can you tell me what is the nginx/docker proxy information for your domain in Plesk?

5. Is your Discourse container running?

Please provide any additional information that you could find useful.

1 Like

I mean help via dc or smth

Sorry, I have no clue what you are talking about.

1 Like

I understand that you struggle, as I struggled myself when I had to install Discourse on the very first time (and it was on Plesk too – an unsupported install).

Again, I’m willing to help you here as resulting information can help other people too, but please, for the sake of others (and yourself), you need to provide more information about what you actually did, what doesn’t work, if you have any error message etc… Check my previous message.

If you cannot follow these simple guidelines, nobody here will be able or even willing to help you.

Take your time to write your reply and be as precise as you can be.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: HTTPS doesn’t work when installing Discourse in a subfolder