Is it possible to moderate all personal messages sent between users?

Hello, I was wondering if it’s possible to moderate all private messages sent between users on discourse?

Thank you!

Yes. Admin can view personal messages.

For 1-on-1 chat messages it’s harder to do but still possible to view them in a situation where you need to.

4 Likes

In addition to above, if there are any keywords you wish to moderate in personal messages, you could utilise watched words, specifically the flag post option.

3 Likes

Short Answer is yes. Ii c you can adjust to allow moderators(full) to view pm without any invite.

There is also this a plugin as well.

Can you share your case use?

Thank you everyone, this is really helpful. Do you know if it’s possible to set up moderation so each personal message is moderated one by one as it’s sent? Or can you only moderate them by looking at a members profile individually?

2 Likes

On a quick search. I have not found any results with the queries I used to force PMs to require moderation

Someone may have better info on this. You may need to consider making a request in feature and if need this more immediately marketplace and sponsor a plugin.

Can you share some info on your community idea with the need to have PMs require moderator approval?

If members do not need to be able to pm each other. But you still want members to be able to pm staff. There is a plugin that ensures users can always on staff(moderators)

With this plugin you could disable PMs.

Just was reading over the “Private Message Keyword Scanner

Looks like is broken atm. It looks to be otherwise the closest option though doesn’t flag to require approval.

The built-in Watched words feature could work if there are keywords/phrases - but will affect public and private posts

Would need to look into this. But you might be able to use Automation plugin to auto flag pm for approval.

This plugin is now part of core so no installation of it is needed.

Edit: posted a question in the Automation plugin topic regarding your requirement.

3 Likes

Would like to have seen a reply to this question as I have a difficult time imagining what type of community requires such heavy policing.

4 Likes