Is there a way to limit who can use a certain tag?

For example, we may want a specific tag called “Homepage”, and then display recent “Homepage” posts on our main website. If we allow all users to choose this tag, it would become a mess. So, I wonder if there is a way to achieve this end - that only certain (groups of) users can use certain tags.

1 Like

Yes. You can create a tag group, and then restrict use of tags in that group to certain users (also by group, but a different kind of group!)

5 Likes

Just to expand a bit on @mattdm’s response, below are the steps you can take to achieve this functionality :slight_smile:

Step 1: Create a Tag Group

1. Go to your Tag Group panel. This can be accessed by appending /tag_groups to your forum’s URL (e.g., https://yourforum.discourse.org/tag_groups).
  2. Here, click on the New button to create a new tag group.
  3. Fill in the necessary details for your tag group:
  • Name: The name of your tag group.
  • Tag names: The tags that you want to include in this group. You can either select from existing tags or create new ones.
  • Optional settings such as visibility and whether tags are mandatory for certain categories can also be configured here.
  1. Click on the Save button.

Step 2: Restrict Use of Tags in the Group to Certain Users

Below is an example where the cicd-standard tag is visible to all, but restricted to admin-bots etc

You might have also missed this topic which also shows the feature.

6 Likes

There is one caveat.

If locale is another than EN automatic groups, as trustlevels etc, will use translated names. And those can’t be use. So if a tag group is allowed for TL3 then must create manually another group for TL3 (and higher).

This is longtime bug or design issue. Perhaps it will be fixed sometime.

2 Likes

Hmm. I don’t think I’ve heard of that limitation. Have you got a bug topic you can link to?

1 Like

Out there is at least two topics about that — one german, one is mine. I can’t remember where I published mine, can be at support too. It never raised any reactions, though. That’s why my bet goes on design issue :wink:

From a quick test, everything appears to be working as expected?

This is the dropdown to select them:

Yes, it is there :smirk:

Now you can choose one, save, go away, return and reopen that. That trustlevel has disappeared and neved did anything.