Launcher rebuild app fails with "containers/app.yml does not exist"

The upload page told me:

Updates via the web UI are disabled until you run the latest image. To do so log in to your server using SSH and run:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

The first time it ran for a while and then ended with the error. If I try again I get:

./launcher rebuild app
x86_64 arch detected.
ERROR: containers/app.yml does not exist or is not readable.

Available configs ( data, mail-receiver, web_only )

The file does not exist:

ls -al containers
total 28
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Jan 15 18:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Jun 19 17:34 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 Jun 11  2023 .gitkeep
-rw-------  1 root root 1175 Jun 27  2023 data.yml
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jun 27  2023 delete
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 2306 Jan 15 18:12 mail-receiver.yml
-rw-------  1 root root 6304 Jan  2 20:39 web_only.yml

Running in a Digital Ocean droplet.

It looks like you have a two-container setup rather than the usual one container called app.

For a two-container setup I believe you would need to run:

./launcher bootstrap web_only && ./launcher destroy web_only && ./launcher start web_only

Though usually people with a two-container setup are aware of the difference. Is this the first time you’ve updated since you installed?

3 Likes

I’ve used the automatic update in the web UI but never got the message about ./launcher rebuild app before.

@pfaffman did the installation.

2 Likes

Ah, yes. I think he has some instructions with some extra detail in - Managing a Two-Container Installation - Documentation - Literate Computing Support

2 Likes

Seems like that command worked, thanks.

2 Likes

Glad you got it figured out!

You can also sign up for my rebuilds program and do it with a click from dashboard.literatecomputing.com. You can also join the free trial group and use the dashboard for free, though without my support (except when I give it for free here!)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.