Mailgun is $1/month per 1,000 emails sent (and first 1,000 are free)

:melting_face:ā€¦ Really, this is really confusing. Thank you for pointing out this. I may try adding a credit card later and see what happens.

3 Likes

The just time a client complained about this I opened a ticket with them and told them that it s confusing (and I think I linked to a discussion very much like this one here).

They didnā€™t seem to care.

4 Likes

Maybe they just donā€™t want to waste their ressources on customers like me haha. ā€œYou donā€™t wanna subscribe? Then get away, Iā€™m not going to beg for your pennies.ā€

2 Likes

When I signed up for Mailgun, (nearly a year ago, some stuff has definitely changed in that time) they made it clear that I could not add my own domain and had to use their sandbox domain until I added a payment method.

It didnā€™t need to take payment and I didnā€™t need to select a plan that would eventually cause a payment to be taken, I just needed to add a valid payment method. At the time, the wording was clear that this was to:
a) provide some reassurance that I am a real person not trying to use their system for mass spam; and
b) provide a means of taking payment if I went over the limits

As I understand it, things have since moved around in a confusing and somewhat obscure way but it is still possible to start a trial for the paid plan, (ā€œFoundationā€?) then downgrade it to Flex / pay-as-you-go, then add a payment method to unlock own-domains for the same reasons above.

6 Likes

If it has not changed since February, then you just have to start the trial which is the Flex plan. Itā€™s just not obvious.

5 Likes

Yes indeed, this is exactly how it works now. I added a credit card today (which got me out of the sandbox), and subscribed to Foundation Trial plan, then I saw the option to downgrade to Flex / Pay as You Go. They are still offering Flex choice to new customers.

Apologies to Mailgun, Iā€™ve misunderstood you. :smiling_face_with_tear: And Iā€™m grateful for you all helping clarify the mechanism of Mailgun. I guess this is the charm and power of communities. :smile:

Iā€™ve edited the first post I posted here to reflect the fruit of discussions and avoid potential misguidance.

(Mailersendā€™s 12,000 free emails are still attractive though

5 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s pretty confusing. I set up a trial and was automatically upgraded to the USD 35 per month plan. I couldnā€™t find a way to downgrade to the Flex plan, so I decided to switch to another provider instead. But then, when I tried to cancel my Mailgun account, I was presented with this:
So maybe thatā€™s just the way to do it. They keep the Flex option well hidden it seems.

7 Likes

Hello. May I ask if its 1000 emails per month or in total?

2 Likes

Itā€™s 1000/month, but their web site makes it impossible to tell that. It looks like their cheapest plan is $35/month, but thatā€™s not the case. Iā€™ve complained a number of times that my clients couldnā€™t make sense of their site, but they donā€™t seem to care.

8 Likes

Just wanted to let everyone know, the Pay as you Go plan is still available as of 02/20/2023.

7 Likes