Moderators vs Staff

Can someone help me understand difference between Moderator and Staff?

1 Like

The “Staff” includes moderators and administrators. “Moderator” includes only moderators.

4 Likes

Okay makes sense! And difference between Whisper and Staff notes? Are they the same thing?

1 Like

In visual form:

3 Likes

Well, they are almost the opposite:

The screenshots don’t really tell the story. These are what staff (or whoever is configured to see Whispers) sees, but the ordinary user is only going to see Staff Notices.

1 Like

By Staff notes, are you referring to this plugin: Discourse User Notes?

• Whispers are notes that you can add to posts. They are private conversations. You might be interested in the whispers allowed groups setting to control what group can create/see those private communications.

• Staff notes from the plugin allow the Staff to add notes to a specific user. You can look at the plugin topic for more details.

1 Like

Yes, this gave me better understanding. What about the Staff Colour for a post, what’s the use of that?

Staff color adds a background color to your post like GDPR outside of the EU - #37

Maybe Discourse Moderation Guide also answers some of your questions

3 Likes

To make a post stand out, it is highlighted with a background color.

1 Like

Moderators and Admins are staff, but I don’t think Category Moderators are staff.

3 Likes

I’m confused, could you tell me difference between Moderator and Category moderator?

Search is your friend :wink:

1 Like

There’s also a bit more info in Understanding user statuses, roles, and permissions that you may find useful. :+1:

1 Like

Sorry kind of off topic, but nowadays it is even more friendly :wink:

And at that point when CDCK will pay for us wider use of chatbot it shall be very friendly :joy:

2 Likes