TL;DR: It seems that timed topics aren’t triggering new-topic notifications to Watchers at publication time. The use case is to batch up a Scrum Standup notification topic per working day, and have them published at a certain time and reminders sent to the standup participants.
- Have non-admin users Watching a particular private category.
- Ensure those users without an active session are getting email notifications of new topics created manually in the category.
- Manually create a new topic in the designated category to test the “control case” that a user would get email notifications of a new topic.
- Next, create a new staged topic in a separate private category, e.g., in the Staff category. (Optionally, edit the topic/first-post owner.) Schedule the topic to be published later, e.g., in 5 minutes.
- Wait until publishing time…
- Because they are Watching the specific (private) category, the non-admin users who are not active on the site will receive an e-mail notification for both types of topics (“regular” and timed).
- Users only receive email notification for “regular” (non-Timed) topics manually created in the designated category.