Shopify Integration

Discourse has intergration with many social login methods already, and it’s very nice.

Can it intergrates with e-commerce platforms like Shopify so users of an existing e-commerce community can login via the same account everywhere for that company?

Example: http://forums.envato.com uses the same login everywhere throughout their site.

1 Like

Shopify supports oauth2 GitHub - Shopify/omniauth-shopify-oauth2: Shopify OAuth2 Strategy for OmniAuth 1.0 it is possible you could simply use our existing oauth2 plugin for it. Otherwise someone could build a plugin for it.

Edit by @david, Oct 2020: Shopify oauth2 is for shop owners only, not end-users.

5 Likes

Thanks, where can I find existing oauth2 plugin for Discourse? I’m new and recently just bought Discourse standard plan.

And does oauth2 plugin for discourse supported on Hosted Discourse version, standard plan?

I guess this one OAuth2 Basic Support

2 Likes

For our hosting, OAuth 2 is only supported on the business plan and higher.

1 Like

Ah I see. I’d love to upgrade to it if I know for sure it works with Shopify user accounts. Can you let me know please? i’m not familiar with OAuth2 documentation.

How could i integrate my email service with discourse. Currently i have created a shopify store for dropshipping purpose and i write those steps as a article. So i need to know about email integration which i will also add in article. i will also share article that i have written. After 6 days no one response me you can see withintheflow.com where my friend write too many education content for drop-shipping and their platform so if you are willing then please let me know.

I’m not aware of any existing plugins that have the functionality you are looking for, but Discourse has several options for interfacing with other apps like MailChimp, ConvertKit, or Shopify. You could use webhooks, the api, and/or the data explorer to gather the email addresses you are looking for and send them to your email service. Also a custom plugin could also be created.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I was wondering if there were any articles showing how to add discourse to my Shopify store. (forum.mystore.com)

Any pointers would be awesome!

There really isn’t a concept of “adding” Discourse to an existing site. You create a Discourse site, and then link to it from your existing site.

Here’s a rough overview of what that process would look like:

You’d set up a Discourse site in its own environment (hosted with us or self-hosted with Digital Ocean or any other compatible hosting service).

You’d then setup the DNS with your domain registrar so your forum can be accessed at forum.mystore.com

You can optionally install and configure an OAuth2 plugin so that your customers can log in to Discourse with their Shopify account.

Then it’s a matter of including a link to your forum from your store and including a link to your store from the forum — you can also optionally theme your Discourse site to match the design of your Shopify store too.

11 Likes

Awesome, thank you so much Kris! Very helpful

1 Like

Hi @electricjared,

If you want to sell products in your Shopify store that can then be accessed in your Discourse site in private Categories, you could talk to @joebuhlig about building a technical integration between the two.

1 Like

Hey all, been trying to get OAuth working between Shopify and Discourse, and wondering if anyone’s done it successfully? We’re having a lot of trouble, as it seems Shopify doesn’t actually support OAuth for customer accounts.

You might have to use a webhook in the middle that gets the info from shopify and then does api calls to discourse.

But just a plugin that took a call from shopify might be easier.

1 Like

We’re fairly sure the webhook doesn’t exist (with customer/user info). We’re trying to avoid a fully custom plugin (we’re bootstrapped). :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you don’t want a plugin then you need something like Zapier in the middle.

If shopify cannot call a webhook when a user is created and /or added to a membership (which seems unlikely) then there is nothing you can do.

2 Likes

Did you get shopify and discourse login credentials to work in both settings?

Not at all. Shopify’s auth system, as far as we could muster, does not allow it.

We did not try Zapier - mostly because we’re hoping for a true auth solution. Very disappointed, mostly in Shopify.

4 Likes

ah thats a bummer! I was looking for the same! if anyone is willing to create a plugin to make this work. may be couple of us can pool to get this done?

is there any update on this for SSO between discourse and shopify?