Suggestion: unite the sign up & log in buttons

I can’t think of any good reason why we would need 2 buttons to log in.
If using social login, it doesn’t matter at all because from a user perspective it is equivalent to login or sign up. It’s a click of a button.
If using user&pass then and only then you can offer to open a new account…

The reason it’s frustrating is that currently if someone is not registered and clicks on “Log In” and chooses some social login (Google, Facebook, etc.), then they are redirected back to the Log In screen instead of the “choose a username” screen as would make sense to do. The user should have known to click on “Sign Up” but what if he didn’t remember whether he signed up before? what if he just made a mistake? I think this confusion is rooted in that there are two buttons where we should only have one. If the user is not registered, then seamlessly register them.

1 Like

What language would you use for the single button?

I just tried this with Google on try.discourse.org, and if I try to log in with an email address that doesn’t have an existing account… I’m directed to create a new account. Are you seeing something different or am I misunderstanding? If I created an account manually by email address, social logins with the same email address will also log in to the correct account.

That aside, I think one of the best unified login/signup example I’ve seen is on https://www.wayfair.com/ but they still have to explicitly say “sign in or create”

Keep in mind that it’s much less critical for them to tie you to a specific account, they’re retail so their job is to get you through to checkout as quickly as possible… they don’t care if you’ve got 3 email addresses and 3 accounts.

It’s a nice flow though. They determine if you need to signup or create based on email address.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.49.54 PM

And then the paths diverge:

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.53.36 PM Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 8.54.17 PM

4 Likes

I would just have “Sign In” because even if someone is not registered they would understand that this is the way to sign up.

Thank you very much! I tried it in try.discourse.org and as you said, i’m redirected to a new account. On my discourse installation that doesn’t happen, instead, i’m redirected back to login page.
I don’t know what the issue is, i have the latest Discourse version… but i will investigate!

Regardless - I would love to see a unification for the sign up and log in flow.

1 Like