System account login

Hello! I am new to this! How do I login to the ‘system’ account?

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s possible. What are you trying to accomplish after you log in as system? There might be an alternative method.

3 Likes

I just want to change some of the settings.

2 Likes

@downey Also is there a way to create an account manually without an email?

2 Likes

Almost any setting can be changed by your own account through the web interface, as long as your account has ‘admin’ rights.

AFAIK, they only way to do so, is you’d need to go through the account creation process and use any email address. Again as an admin account for the site, you can go pull up the user in the admin tools and manually override their email verification (for example in the case you used a fake email address).

Others may know more… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see. I’ll try it out!

1 Like

You can’t login as system.

Admins do that not system.

2 Likes

You can’t. You really need to get mail working or you won’t have a forum. This might help you, though: Create Admin Account from Console.

3 Likes

@pfaffman Is there a way to stage a user? Bit confused by what that means/

2 Likes

As others have replied here, it is not possible to login as the system user. The system user is a special account that is automatically created by Discourse. It is used for performing some automated functions on the site. It is also used as the API user if you make API requests with the All Users API key.

If the site that you are asking about is on our hosting, you do not have access to the Rails console, so the guide for creating accounts from the Rails console will not apply to you.

Have a look at this topic What is a staged user?

If you can give us specific details about what you are trying to accomplish, we will try to help.

4 Likes

I have a case that may justify the need to login as “system”

So…I made a mistake and moved a category into another category (creating a sub-category). I saved the sub-category without adding any users in the permissions…so even as an admin I cant access it. When I try, I get the error Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private..

I was hoping I could login as system to re-add permissions to admins can access that sub-category.

UPDATE

I was able to use /safe-mode to fix the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad safe mode allowed you to fix it :+1:

Just as an FYI, but saving a category with no specific group in the permissions should default it to a staff-only access/view one. If that isn’t the case, or if a plugin or theme component blocked that somehow, it would be good if you could share the details. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Me too!

I would have, but I cant replicate the issue now so it will be left a mystery.

The best explanation I can provide is…

Originally I had Category #1 with Sub-Category #1 inside it.

• Both have permissions for everyone to read/write.

Within Sub-Category #1 settings, I changed the parent to Category #2.

• Category #2 has permissions for Custom-Group with read, staff with read/write.
  • Sub-Category #1 has no one under permissions.

When I tried to save changes I received an error saying that I cant save until I add permissions for at least one user. So instead of adding any, I went back to the home page, went to Category #2 and I couldn’t see Sub Category #1.

I also went back to Category #1 and I couldn’t find Sub-Category #1. This is where it should have been if I was unable to save the changes I would have thought.

I then used the search to find a topic within Sub-Category #1. I was able to see the topic. But when I tried to go to the Sub-Category #1 to view the other topics, I got the 404 error.

When I used safe mode, I was able to find the Sub-Category back where it was originally in Category #1.

Hopefully that helps somewhat.

3 Likes