System account login

Hello! I am new to this! How do I login to the ‘system’ account?

1 Like

I don’t think that’s possible. What are you trying to accomplish after you log in as system? There might be an alternative method.

2 Likes

I just want to change some of the settings.

1 Like

@downey Also is there a way to create an account manually without an email?

1 Like

Almost any setting can be changed by your own account through the web interface, as long as your account has ‘admin’ rights.

AFAIK, they only way to do so, is you’d need to go through the account creation process and use any email address. Again as an admin account for the site, you can go pull up the user in the admin tools and manually override their email verification (for example in the case you used a fake email address).

Others may know more… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see. I’ll try it out!

You can’t login as system.

Admins do that not system.

1 Like

You can’t. You really need to get mail working or you won’t have a forum. This might help you, though: Create Admin Account from Console.

2 Likes

@pfaffman Is there a way to stage a user? Bit confused by what that means/

1 Like

As others have replied here, it is not possible to login as the system user. The system user is a special account that is automatically created by Discourse. It is used for performing some automated functions on the site. It is also used as the API user if you make API requests with the All Users API key.

If the site that you are asking about is on our hosting, you do not have access to the Rails console, so the guide for creating accounts from the Rails console will not apply to you.

Have a look at this topic What is a staged user?

If you can give us specific details about what you are trying to accomplish, we will try to help.

3 Likes