Tag explanation - feature request

For one of the forums I’m administering, it would also be useful for tags to have tag descriptions (which, in my mind would be available as a tool tip on mouser-over on desktop) because we have a tag for each command that the program takes via the CLI, such as set. Since it is not immediately obvious why a post would be tagged #set, it would be nice if people could find out.

Having said that my preference would be a fully fledged description field for each tag, here is an idea that might work at least in our case: all CLI commands are in the same tag group called “CLI commands” or so. If each tag group had an option

[ ] prepend tags from this group with _______

So if I’d enter “command” as a prepend string, the #set tag would be displayed as “command:set”

:thinking: Ah, well, no. It’s probably a lot better with a simple description field.

3 Likes

Just for completeness: another good use case for tag descriptions that can include links is as a place to point out to anonymous visitors that they can subscribe to the tag by RSS (in case they don’t want to sign up just yet …).

Technically RSS for tags works just fine (example), but without a place to point out that feature, users will hardly find it. Except for those with an RSS browser extension.

2 Likes

We do this with category descriptions and would love to do the same with tag-pages. For example, the Web Dev Teams will often need to access our Github, so adding:

Team Name
Tools: Github - Pictures of Happy Dogs - New Build Wireframe

Gives them a smoother experience

I would love to see tag descriptions as well. A combination of the description below the tag in /tags along with the description on the tag’s page as Dave posted above would be perfect. We use a few obscure tags that make sense to existing users, but new users struggle to understand. If I were to make the tag long enough to understand it would be unruly in the UI, but if I leave it the way it is, it ends up leading to time wasting questions about what the tag is for.

check this theme:

That just adds a banner, not a description. There is this component to add a tag description, but it’s a little painful to use if you want descriptions for a lot of tags, and I would prefer to have the description up top rather than on the side because it breaks the Topic List Preview plugin.

There are no plans for this, as tags are meant to be lightweight.

2 Likes

Was just looking for such a field on the Info button as well. At least a staff note would be helpful for some more generic tag names

2 Likes

I’m using this component for that Discourse Tag Sidebars
Would love to have it in core, though.

2 Likes

Hi, I also found this thread while searching for a way to add a description field to a Tag under the info button. I like the concept posted above of adding tag description within a pinned topic post or similar. That would add additional context in a searchable manner… it would be nice to add or pin a description to a grouping of tags… especially for anyone browsing /tags/ or similar.

edit: Where can I re-write this text: This tag isn't restricted to any categories, and has no synonyms.

Another vote for the ability to pin topics within tags, which could be used for the tag description but also other things. For my specific use case, we are using a fairly broad, simple category structure to discuss a wide range of applications and techniques/systems. So we have “Apps” and “Methods”, “Lounge”, “Feedback” as categories, and we use tags to handle the potentially 100+ apps, methods, systems, etc. But we recently realized it would be really nice to be able to collect the best resources for each app somewhere in a visible place per-app. We can’t do this easily (i.e. pin a “Best resources” topic) using tags, so we’d have to resort to a massive amount of categories, or just accept that the resources topic won’t be surfaced and people will have to search for it. Or I guess we can bump it manually all the time, but then the resource topics periodically dominate the latest topics, so that’s a no go.

So yeah, +1 for pinned topics in tags!

4 Likes

Tag descriptions are now planned:

Pinning topics within tags however is not part of this afaik. We should create a dedicated topic for that separate feature once tag descriptions have landed.

6 Likes

To close this out, tag descriptions were added as a feature in late 2021!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.