Tagging support is now part of Discourse

The discourse-tagging plugin had a good run, but the time has come to make it a core part of Discourse. @eviltrout and I spent the last few days pulling that plugin into core and merged it today. If you’re using the discourse-tagging plugin, it will no longer be loaded after you upgrade.

Currently it behaves exactly the same was as the plugin. You’ll find the settings in a new category in admin:

Now that tagging isn’t a plugin, we’ll have an easier time working on some of the features people have been asking for and solve some problems we’ve known about for a while. Some examples:

• Tag groupings
  • Better topic list filtering with tags
  • A better UI for managing tags
  • Performance problems
31 Likes

Yay! After updating, do we need to remove the plugin in some way?

1 Like

Yes you should remove the plugin from your installation. There is a piece of code present to prevent it from loading but it’s cleaner if you remove it from your app.yml file.

5 Likes

Excellent. And I assume all the data will move over “smoothly” so no need for us to adjust any configuration in the process?

2 Likes

Yup, it’s still using the PluginStore for data so everything will transfer over exactly. We will migrate away from that soon to use proper tables and such, but it will migrate your data automatically like in any other version update.

12 Likes

:fireworks:

This is what I’m waiting for!

4 Likes

Safe to assume that you guys will be taking care of removing the plugin from hosted installations? Will all previous tagging setting be assumed by core (ie minimum TL for tag creation, tag usage, etc.)?

Edit: I can’t read apparently. Ignore the second question…

It’s already been removed from our hosting container, so the next time a client is deployed they will get the tagging in core as opposed to the plugin.

5 Likes

What version of Discourse does this apply to?

After upgrading to the specified version, other than removing the entry from the app.yml file, is there anything else we need to do? After removing it does we need to rebuild or will the plugin just disappear on its own at some future time?

The settings move to a new location, do they also retain their values?

2 Likes

Today’s version - so Discourse 1.6.0.beta2.

Yes. After editing the app.yml file you will need to rebuild.

3 Likes

As part of moving tagging to core, Could I tag topics via API? This is useful for the private email support that was added in 1.5 to add both email and tags.to topic via API

Do you mean via Discourse’s server side API, or our discourse_api gem?

Because you’ve always been able to use the JSON API our server exposes to tag things. Moving things into core does not change that.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Hash tag problem with tagging

Hmm the Tags page does not have a proper HTML title @neil? If so we should fix that.

Yeah I’ll add a title. It might be a regression from the move to core.

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to restrict tagging

###How do I create a link to a tag in a post?

I don’t mean assign a tag to topic. I want to refer someone to a list of topics that have a specific tag. So far, I’ve been creating the link manually, as in getting the link from the tags page, and then using it in my post:

[tagging](https://meta.discourse.org/tags/tagging)

Thanks.

type a hashtag # then type a few characters, this works for tags or categories.

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Emoji in tag names