Topic List Thumbnails

Thank you too, component and site running as expected :grinning:

4 Likes

I just merged a change in Discourse core which will significantly speed up the fetching of hotlinked images:

For people using this theme component, that means that thumbnails for hotlinked images will be generated almost immediately, rather than the previous 10 minute delay :rocket:

14 Likes

Don’t tell me you read my posts? ;). Thanks very much for working on that!

David, I’m assuming that doesn’t require any config changes to the Theme Component code as I can’t see any related commits?

4 Likes

Correct - no theme changes needed.

The core change is part of a wider refactoring of our ‘hotlinked image’ handling. The speed improvement for thumbnail-consuming-theme-components is a nice side effect!

7 Likes

A massive win for the Discourse platform, thanks!

8 Likes

I used to be able to add more than 5 tags in the settings, but I’m getting an error now:

2 Likes

Thanks for the report @bartv - should be fixed by FIX: Ensure there is no limit on tag list settings (#17355) · discourse/discourse@fb31ae0 · GitHub

4 Likes

Probably there is a workaround, but it is applied to all images:

// Do not upscale thumbnails
.topic-thumbnails-list .topic-list-thumbnail .main-thumbnail, 
.topic-thumbnails-grid .topic-list-thumbnail .main-thumbnail, 
.topic-thumbnails-masonry .topic-list-thumbnail .main-thumbnail, 
.topic-thumbnails-minimal .topic-list-thumbnail .main-thumbnail {
	width: max-content;
	height: max-content;
}
2 Likes

In a recent build I started getting these horizontal lines behind the thumbnails, you can see them live on my site now https://community.naturephotographers.network/ I’ve tried removing all components except TLT and any CSS but they still remain, any ideas?

4 Likes

@techAPJ / @Roman_Rizzi it looks like the recent changes in the discourse-adplugin are introducing a blank <tr> between every topic in the topic list. Can we use the shouldRender hook on the connector to make sure it’s only rendered if we’re actually displaying an ad there? :thinking:

4 Likes

The ad slot render logic is a bit complex, so I’m not sure if it’s that easy. I’ll work on a fix!

5 Likes

Should be fixed by:

6 Likes

Thanks Roman, unfortunately the problem still exists for me. I only updated the plugin, does core need an update too?

3 Likes

I thing is should select any images form all detail post. Sometimes the first image doesn’t convey what this thread is all about.

2 Likes

Sorry about that. Can you please try again now? I pushed another fix.

3 Likes

I believe that did it, thank you Roman!

4 Likes

I use plugin pull rss can add images in detail more?

Thank you.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I understand how to change the placeholder icon.
@david Any help would be appreciated :smiley:

2 Likes

At the moment, the placeholder icon is limited to Font Awesome icons. You can find a list of available icons at Search v5 Icons | Font Awesome. Adding them can be a little tricky depending on what you end up choosing. If you find an icon you like, go ahead and share it and I can help walk you through how to ensure it works.

The setting does not support custom images at this point. That would need to be filed as a feature request if that’s what you’re after.

3 Likes

Ah! That helped and I think I got it figured out. Added the one I wanted to svg icon subset and used the icon name (without the fa/far/fad part).
Looks great! Thank you so much! :smiley:

If boss decides an image would be better, how do I submit a feature request for a component?

3 Likes