Transfer Docker installed Discourse to new DigitalOcean droplet

I have a Discourse installation installed on DO via docker. What’s best practice for moving the installation to a new droplet? I’d assume just create an image from the droplet, kill the droplet, spin up new droplet from the saved image. Or is there a better way to do it?

My use case is: I want to have backups of my droplet, which means i need a new droplet as they can only be toggled on with new droplets, and not on existing droplets AFAIK. Also, I want to make sure I don’t lose any data acquired so far from the Discouse installation.

1 Like

You could use our backup/restore feature but that would require you to rebuild a new discourse instance from scratch. If you can “transfer” the image from one droplet to another, it’ll be easier/faster :wink:

1 Like

@zogstrip Thanks! Good to know about backup/restore feature.

I’ll go with image to new droplet then.

1 Like

Yeah I would follow the Digital Ocean procedure for moving the droplet:

Start by taking a snapshot, but be aware this can take a while, up to 30 minutes, as it has to copy all 30+ gb of data on the droplet around.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help :wink:

1 Like

@sckott were you able to successful transfer the discourse installation to another installation using snapshots? I’m planning to do the same thing. Thanks :slight_smile:

I have not tried it yet. But I will try very soon. Will let you know

I did this a lot when working on ‘fun’ projects once or twice a month.
Instead of paying for the full month.
Take a snapshot and destroy.
Then in a week or two or three … spin up a new droplet from the snapshot.
It works well.

Cool Thanks @geoff777
I’ll try it out then :slight_smile:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Restoring a snapshotted instance