How do I create a whisper post?

(Felix Freiberger) #1

Whispers are a staff-only feature that allows for private discussion between staff members inside a public topic.

Before whisper can be used, they need to be enabled by an administrator by checking enable whispers in site settings.

When enabled, all staff members can create a whisper by starting to create a reply as usual, selecting the :gear: icon in the toolbar and clicking Toggle whisper:

The composer will indicate that the reply is a whisper by showing (whisper) next to the title.

How to whisper?
Allow post author to see/reply to whisper posts
Task manager within Discourse?
Unable to retroactively make a post reply into a whisper
Hide replies from trust levels
Staff notes to a post add the note to the user instead of post
Disable e-mails to staged topic creator
(Mittineague) #2

Has the “when the last post is a whisper unread needs to be dismissed” thing been fixed yet?

(Felix Freiberger) #3

No, and it looks like it’s going to take a while (would need a major refactor).

(Sora &\) #4

I enable whisper but other user can’t see button toggle whisper, Don’t i add user to staff? How i add users to staff?
Can i add other group to whisper toggle? Not admin or modarator…

Can anyone whisper post but only staff and this user see whisper?

(Felix Freiberger) #6

Whispers can only be used by staff users, i.e. users that are Moderators or admins.

(Quim Gil) #7

Can someone confirm whether TL4 users can whisper or not, and if they can how to enable it? I cannot find a clear answer in the documentation / configuration about trust levels and whispers.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I think I misspoke there. I don’t think TL4 users can whisper, only staff. Maybe @sam can confirm?

(Felix Freiberger) #9

I just tested it, TL4 cannot whisper.

(Nathan Kershaw) #10

I’ve just discovered inadvertently that a Group Owner can whisper to a Moderator. I guess that Group Owners are officially ‘Staff’.

(Sam Saffron) #11

Are you sure about this?

We are pretty stickler in our code base about only allowing staff to create whispers and see whispers.

(Nathan Kershaw) #12

Well, I can’t test it easily as I’m a moderator and not an admin - so can’t make a dummy group owner account. But one of my group owners sent me a whisper yesterday (appropriately) in a long PM thread which contained 2 other users.

This was the first time that I had encountered the functionality - which is great by the way. I’ve been peppering posts with whispers since.

The big question in my mind is “are group owners considered staff?” - that would explain the behaviour.

(Ryan Erwin) #13

Would be awesome if they are!

Personally, we’ve got a lot of employees that are infrequent users of the forum… Very hesitant to make all of them full moderators because of the damage that could be done accidentally, but would be fantastic if adding them as “group owners” could allow them to read/write whispers :+1:

Currently I end up sending a lot of PMs to notify them to check out a specific post.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Absolutely not, no. That is not the case.

(Sam Saffron) #15

Are you 100% this group owner is not a moderator and that you don’t have aplugin messing with discourse ?