Unable to see the Text Box on the Composer after update to 2.6.0.beta2

Hi guys,

Just updated to 2.6.0.beta2 and after checking everything is working as intended, I just realized I can’t edit the Themes’ CSS/HTML, with a behavior similar to this one. The main difference being that I can see the text for the custom code I have for CSS/HTML but I can’t edit it, it’s just plain text.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Go to the Admin Panel
  2. “Customize” Tab/Button
  3. Select a Theme
  4. Press the “Edit CSS/HTML” Button
  5. If you have any custom code on CSS you should see it in plain text right away. If you don’t, select one tab/type where you do have custom code.

Behaviors to note:

• If I press the “hide unused fields” box, it does keep the ones with the text.
  • The “Save” box is faded out, can’t click it.
  • The Preview button works as intended.
  • I tried with the ?safe_mode=only_official life hack but the behavior stays the same.
  • Happens with Chrome and Firefox latests versions (not nightbuilds).

Personal Note:

• Did read all the release notes for 2.6.0.beta2 and did not see anything that could imply that this is a trigger/feature (besides the Light/Dark auto-switch) but I’m not throwing off the scenario where I’m missing something.
2 Likes

This is likely related to some recent updates to our CSS/HTML editor… the old version of the editor is still cached in your browser and causing issues. To confirm that’s the case, if you visit the editor and open your browser console you’ll see an error that mentions loadWorkerFromBlob.

One thing that may work is visiting yourcommunity.example.com/javascripts/ace/ace.js directly and doing a hard refresh of the page.

5 Likes

Hi @awesomerobot!

Thank you so much for replying.

Yes, indeed I do have those errors on the console!

In the meantime I was trying everything around the system and, turns out, I can’t post either. Haven’t tested that before because I did not had to write anything so far, but out of curiosity tried it and when you try to reply or create a new post, the composer pops up but no text box to write. The title text box does appear and you can write on it, the other drop-downs such as category picker, etc. load but you can’t use them, and then no box underneath.

And on both the Theme Editor and when trying to post I get this one as well: property 'authorized_extensions' of undefined

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Press the “Create Topic Button”.

Behaviors to note:

• Wheter it is replying or creating a new topic, the popup editor appears but with no text box.
  • The Title Text Box (in case of a new topic) appears and you can write on it.
  • The dropdowns (category, etc) appear but they don’t seem to work.
  • Happens on both Mobile and Desktop.
  • It happens on incognito windows and with hard refreshes.

Now the craziest thing: Apparently it only happens to Admin/Mod accounts, because users can write normally. Does this make any sense to you or do I have to throw away all my electronics? :stuck_out_tongue:

Small Update

Tried on other devices, and now I’m really confused because on some devices the box works on Firefox but not on Chrome and viceversa. And on some it works for mods and not for admins and viceversa.

I deleted cache, cookies, went incognito, but doesn’t alter the behavior.

Will try the extreme, just to rule out everything, which is uninstalling all browsers and trying from scratch. Because this behavior tells me that is not necessarily something on Discourse but something that, depending on the device and account, happens or not.

One note that I forgot to add, I did follow your advice and did this:

Which I understand as visiting that address and then doing CTRL+F5 or just F5 after cleaning everything, etc, but the behavior persists.

Another Update

Nope, tried uninstalling/installing and nothing. Even with Edge (both new and old). No luck there.

It doesn’t seem that the users have this issue because activity flows as expected (if they have it I wouldn’t know, actually :stuck_out_tongue: ), but Admins and Mods do have this issue. I’m unable to pinpoint the issue, the only feedback I have on the console is:

Chrome: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'authorized_extensions' of undefined
FireFox: Uncaught TypeError: t is undefined

Updating Once Again

Just posting to say that now, out of the sudden, without changing a thing on both my computer or the server, I can edit Themes, the box now appears.

I can’t, however, write on my own site because the box doesn’t appear, as described above. I’m baffled by this. Will update the title since now the issue is only the text boxes (unless the Edit Theme Box stops working out of the sudden).

2 Likes

New post just to inform that, if I remove the Mod Status to a Mod User (that has this bug), after refreshing the page they will be able to write without issue, the box will appear. Which confirms that the issue only happens to Mods and Admins.

But I’ve been combing down my plugins, also tried the ?safe_mode=only_official mode and it doesn’t change, only happens to Mods/Admins.

Now, this is the fun part, while I was writing the lines above it came to me that “the only difference is with Admin/Mods but you guys don’t have this issue on Meta, so it has to be something very specific to my setting”. And then I theorized, even though the “Safe Mode” disables the plugins it doesn’t disable the Theme Component.

So I tried and it confirms, the thing that was causing the issue was the Restrict Uploads Theme Component (ironically the Mods/Admins can upload, so their bar isn’t affected but it doesn’t load, for some reason).

Summing up:

• Regarding the original issue: Seems to be related to the behavior that @awesomerobot described as it fixed itself “with time” (although not immediately by doing those commands, I should note).

• I had a different issue regarding the text boxes and it was related to the Restrict Uploads Theme Component by @tshenry

Can someone please confirm before I post on the Theme Component Topic?

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Update to 2.6.0.beta2
  2. Install the Restrict Uploads Theme Component
  3. Log in with a Moderator or an Admin
  4. Try to do any post (New Topic, Reply, PM).

Behaviors to note:

• Wheter it is replying or creating a new topic, the popup editor appears but with no text box.
  • The Title Text Box (in case of a new topic) appears and you can write on it.
  • The dropdowns (category, etc) appear but they don’t seem to work.
  • Happens on both Mobile and Desktop.
  • It happens on incognito windows and with hard refreshes.
  • Happens with Chrome and Firefox latests versions (not nightbuilds).

Console Errors

Chrome : Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'authorized_extensions' of undefined
FireFox : Uncaught TypeError: t is undefined

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this will disable all theme components, but when I use safe mode and have “disable theme” selected, I don’t see any of my other theme components, so I do think safe mode can do this.