Using standard install, at step to edit app.yml, No app.yml

Following Beginner Docker install guide but instead of using Digital Ocean using OSU OSL (a perk of SWI-Prolog being an open source project).

At the Email step switched to the more detailed instructions in Switching Your Discourse from Mandrill to Mailgun.

As swi-prolog.org is an existing registered domain name (check whois) and had been previously setup in Mailgun for another use a while back I am skipping down to step 4. Log in via SSH and edit your Discourse config (ref). I can SSH in but there is no app.yml file.

eric@swi-prolog:~$ ls -la /var/discourse/containers
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 May 26 13:41 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 May 23 11:02 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 May 23 11:02 .gitkeep

The only steps done so far related to installing Discourse are:

sudo -s
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse

What should be done?

I am thinking ./discourse-setup but not sure, so just asking.

Note: I do not have Mailgun login access or similar for domain name, but am working with the one who does. In short I am trying to do this with their help when needed but as I have never done a Mail server setup and don’t have Mailgun login I am stumbling/learning often. He has provided the values needed for app.yml.

This. It creates app.yml from your responses.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying but I don’t understand all of it together as written. Parts of it make sense but together it seems to contradict itself.

Does this This mean run ./discourse-setup?

But I have not given any responses. The only thing I have done related to installing Discourse by following the instructions is

sudo -s
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse

app.yml does not yet exist to enter values.

I have installed a dev version and have it running so for the build in question I am expecting to a see a script run that does most of the build, but have not done that step yet for the build in question.

Yes it means run, at which point you will enter the data required for the system to generate app.yml.

2 Likes

Or if you don’t run ./discourse-setup you need to copy the samples/standalone.yml file to containers/app.yml and edit it yourself.

6 Likes

Now that I done my brain fart and have made it to the Building app statement in running $ sudo ./discourse-setup both replies make sense.

For those on the same path as noted in the question. Here is what I did

1. Copy of app.yml from the samples directory as noted by Justin.
$ sudo cp /var/discourse/samples/standalone.yml /var/discourse/containers/app.yml
  1. Change the three values for the SMTP mail server as noted in this blog entry.
$ sudo vim containers/app.yml
  1. Was unable to do rebuild since earlier I chose to let the Discourse build install Docker so SKIP this step.
$ ./launcher rebuild app
  1. Do the Discourse setup
$ sudo ./discourse-setup

This is where the prompts noted by Robert appear. Having never done a production install I have not seen these particular prompts.

Since Docker was not installed the first prompt was to install Docker

Docker not installed. Enter to install from https://get.docker.com/ or Ctrl+C to exit

then Docker installed followed by

Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: ***

Checking your domain name . . .
Connection to *** succeeded.
Email address for admin account(s)? [me@example.com,you@example.com]: ***@gmail.com
SMTP server address? [***.mailgun.org]:  
SMTP port? [587]: 
SMTP user name? [***@***]: 
SMTP password? [55...]: 
Optional email address for Let's Encrypt warnings? (ENTER to skip) [me@example.com]: ***@gmail.com

Does this look right?

Hostname      : ***
Email         : ***@gmail.com
SMTP address  : ***.mailgun.org
SMTP port     : 587
SMTP username : ***@***
SMTP password : 55...
Let's Encrypt : ***@gmail.com

ENTER to continue, 'n' to try again, Ctrl+C to exit:
Enabling Let's Encrypt
web.ssl.template.yml enabled
letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml enabled

Configuration file at  updated successfully!

Updates successful. Rebuilding in 5 seconds.
Building app
1 Like

Awesome – I marked your post as solution for future reference!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.