Using standard install, at step to edit app.yml, No app.yml

Following Beginner Docker install guide but instead of using Digital Ocean using OSU OSL (a perk of SWI-Prolog being an open source project).

At the Email step switched to the more detailed instructions in Switching Your Discourse from Mandrill to Mailgun.

As swi-prolog.org is an existing registered domain name (check whois) and had been previously setup in Mailgun for another use a while back I am skipping down to step 4. Log in via SSH and edit your Discourse config (ref). I can SSH in but there is no app.yml file.

eric@swi-prolog:~$ ls -la /var/discourse/containers
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 May 26 13:41 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 May 23 11:02 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    0 May 23 11:02 .gitkeep

The only steps done so far related to installing Discourse are:

sudo -s
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse

What should be done?

I am thinking ./discourse-setup but not sure, so just asking.

Note: I do not have Mailgun login access or similar for domain name, but am working with the one who does. In short I am trying to do this with their help when needed but as I have never done a Mail server setup and don’t have Mailgun login I am stumbling/learning often. He has provided the values needed for app.yml.

This. It creates app.yml from your responses.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying but I don’t understand all of it together as written. Parts of it make sense but together it seems to contradict itself.

Does this This mean run ./discourse-setup?

But I have not given any responses. The only thing I have done related to installing Discourse by following the instructions is

sudo -s
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse

app.yml does not yet exist to enter values.

I have installed a dev version and have it running so for the build in question I am expecting to a see a script run that does most of the build, but have not done that step yet for the build in question.

2 Likes

Yes it means run, at which point you will enter the data required for the system to generate app.yml.

2 Likes

Or if you don’t run ./discourse-setup you need to copy the samples/standalone.yml file to containers/app.yml and edit it yourself.

6 Likes

Now that I done my brain fart and have made it to the Building app statement in running $ sudo ./discourse-setup both replies make sense.

For those on the same path as noted in the question. Here is what I did

1. Copy of app.yml from the samples directory as noted by Justin.
$ sudo cp /var/discourse/samples/standalone.yml /var/discourse/containers/app.yml
  1. Change the three values for the SMTP mail server as noted in this blog entry.
$ sudo vim containers/app.yml
  1. Was unable to do rebuild since earlier I chose to let the Discourse build install Docker so SKIP this step.
$ ./launcher rebuild app
  1. Do the Discourse setup
$ sudo ./discourse-setup

This is where the prompts noted by Robert appear. Having never done a production install I have not seen these particular prompts.

Since Docker was not installed the first prompt was to install Docker

Docker not installed. Enter to install from https://get.docker.com/ or Ctrl+C to exit

then Docker installed followed by

Hostname for your Discourse? [discourse.example.com]: ***

Checking your domain name . . .
Connection to *** succeeded.
Email address for admin account(s)? [me@example.com,you@example.com]: ***@gmail.com
SMTP server address? [***.mailgun.org]:  
SMTP port? [587]: 
SMTP user name? [***@***]: 
SMTP password? [55...]: 
Optional email address for Let's Encrypt warnings? (ENTER to skip) [me@example.com]: ***@gmail.com

Does this look right?

Hostname      : ***
Email         : ***@gmail.com
SMTP address  : ***.mailgun.org
SMTP port     : 587
SMTP username : ***@***
SMTP password : 55...
Let's Encrypt : ***@gmail.com

ENTER to continue, 'n' to try again, Ctrl+C to exit:
Enabling Let's Encrypt
web.ssl.template.yml enabled
letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml enabled

Configuration file at  updated successfully!

Updates successful. Rebuilding in 5 seconds.
Building app
2 Likes

Awesome – I marked your post as solution for future reference!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.