What dialect of Spanish is expected to be contributed?

For some reason this forum software makes a distinction between US English and UK English, despite there being very few differences between them anyway (apart from “-or” → “-our” stuff maybe but that is so miniscule anyway), or at least from what I have seen.

I have contributed some translations, and as a Mexican, I contribute Latin American Spanish (I know there are several local dialects, but Mexico is the biggest country in size and population of Latin America, so it is representative of most of Latin American Spanish), but I am not sure if I should continue to do this, since it would be odd to see European Spanish and Latin American Spanish mixed together. If one dialect is preferred maybe opening up a new Spanish for another ?

8 Likes

The technically correct and yet completely useless answer to your question is that, since the language code used is ES, the expected dialect is some hypothetical universal Spanish.

It’s referred to one of the current discussion topics as (oficial), so I think the intent is RAE Spanish. Am I interpreting that parenthetical correctly @SidV?

In the past we had separate translations for Latin American, Mexican, and Argentine dialects, but it looks like those did not carryover from Transifex :arrow_right: CrowdIn. Presumably there wasn’t enough actually translated to keep them around.

If someone were to follow the procedure we could add one back in. That page says those “instructions are currently out of date”, so we’ll have to petition someone – likely @gerhard – to update it.

5 Likes

Yeah I had always assumed it was European Spanish, since the language code for Mexican Spanish would be MX, so I naturally interpret ES as ESpaña, but I like localizing things :frowning:

I think having a Spanish for all dialects is overkill, since there are many countries that speak Spanish and most of the strings would probably still be the same. Although a Latin American user that is not Mexican would likely default to it anyway since it is geographically closer to Mexico and Mexican Spanish is the most spoken dialect out there.

4 Likes

In the past we had multiple dialects of Spanish on Transifex with various degrees of translation progress. As I understand it they were nearly identical and it confused translators, because only one of them was shipped with Discourse. The main translators at that time requested all the clones to be deleted in May 2019.

We certainly can add one or more languages back on Crowdin. There’s a long list of Spanish languages available.

Language Code Name
es Spanish
es-EM Spanish (Modern)
es-AR Spanish, Argentina
es-BO Spanish, Bolivia
es-CL Spanish, Chile
es-CO Spanish, Colombia
es-CR Spanish, Costa Rica
es-DO Spanish, Dominican Republic
es-EC Spanish, Ecuador
es-SV Spanish, El Salvador
es-GT Spanish, Guatemala
es-HN Spanish, Honduras
es-419 Spanish, Latin America
es-MX Spanish, Mexico
es-NI Spanish, Nicaragua
es-PA Spanish, Panama
es-PY Spanish, Paraguay
es-PE Spanish, Peru
es-PR Spanish, Puerto Rico
es-US Spanish, United States
es-UY Spanish, Uruguay
es-VE Spanish, Venezuela

Looking at that list, I think es more or less would be es-ES? So, maybe let’s add es-MX?

I’m still not sure about the process for translating language dialects (and that’s not specific to Spanish):

• Start from scratch?
  • Or initialize it with existing translations from es and let them diverge afterwards?
  • Or translate only strings which are different from es and mark the rest as “Done” in the editor? There’s a filter option for “Done” and “ToDo” in Crowdin that might come in handy.
  • Or use existing translations (from es in this case) from Translation Memory and maybe add a new feature to our Crowdin integration that deletes those copies from es-MX when strings in es are changed?

Crowdin’s “Switch Source Language” workflow step is still unusable, so that’s not an option. cc @Andriy_Crowdin

We can always configure Discourse to use es as fallback locale for es-MX, so there’s no need to translate everything. But I don’t know anything about Spanish. How similar are es-ES and es-MX?

4 Likes

I typed that into Google and got this result, which is fairly helpful:

5 Likes