Wordpress & Discourse Self Hosted Install

Hello,

Can someone clarify for me the installation process for self-hosted discourse :slight_smile:

I wish to use Discourse with Wordpress. So have been reading discourse install article 50752 which in return took me to https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

Setup subdomain - although would ideally have liked to install in a subdirectory but read it was suggested as a subdomain. Wordpress on the main domain with discourse plugin installed not configured.

Do we login via ssh to this subdomain and run the following command there which will install the docker discourse image and then proceed as instructed further?

sudo -s
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse

I’m on vps with Plesk so have enabled git for subdomain and added repo which has actually copied the docker discourse image files into the website root.

Forgive perhaps the basicness of the question but I want to understand rather than just fumble my way to it working.

Kind regards and many thanks for your time.

The easiest / typical way to install is on a Digital Ocean droplet, as described in the main install guide you linked above. It doesn’t matter where WordPress is installed — Discourse will be installed in an entirely different place, with the WP Discourse plugin used to link them together.

So basically if you follow that install guide 100% exactly as described, that should be simplest!

If you’re asking about installing Discourse on the same machine you’re using for WordPress…it sounds like Docker is theoretically compatible with Plesk, but from a quick search it seems based on others’ experiences that’d probably be a headache! See here for lots of people having trouble with Plesk installs: Search results for 'plesk' - Discourse Meta

7 Likes

If you really, really want a subfolder install, I’ll do it! Multiple Discourse, WordPress, Ghost installations on a single server – Literate Computing, LLC

Someone experienced with Plesk /might/ be able to make that work in an hour or three. There are some topics here about getting Discourse to work with Plesk; they sound pretty painful. What you are doing is basically taking a tool that’s supposed to make things easier, do something that it’s not designed to do, which makes it 10X harder.

You’ll be much happier if you just install Discourse on it’s own Digital Ocean Droplet for $5 or $10/month as described in the install-cloud document you linked to. If you’d like it all done for you (except the DNS configuration) I’ll do that for $150 or if you want plugins and reply-by-mail set up and ready to go $300.

3 Likes

Thank you for replying and for putting me on the correct path.

The following links appear to make this possible installing docker in Plesk. I’d like to try but as you said Digital Ocean Droplet makes this easier so as a backup plan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve also found that Docker is picky about OS version. Using Docker shows specific versions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.