Daily Summary (9pm UTC)

Welcome to our AI-generated Daily Summary topic! (9:00 PM Edition) :slight_smile:

This is the topic where a daily summary of meta’s activity is collated by our good friend Bert, and posted here so everyone can get a rundown of some of the top discussions over the past 24 hours.

To account for our global audience, we have three editions (this one, Daily Summary (5am UTC), and Daily Summary (1pm UTC)), which fire at different times of the day so you can get one at a time most convenient to you. All of them cover the last 24 hours (respectively), so the main difference is when they land.

If you’d like to get a ping whenever a new one is posted just set this topic to Watching (and if you change your mind, change it back :slight_smile:).

Feedback is certainly welcome. We’ll be tweaking and refining the idea as we go, so all input is encouraged. We do have a separate topic for that so as to keep this one just for summaries. You can find that here - Daily Summary Feedback

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

:warning: Small caveat… AI (even GPT-4) does hallucinate, it is unavoidable. Don’t treat everything it says as truth, as there will likely be some lies mixed in. We’ll try to manually correct any if we spot them, but still… keep an eye out. :eyes:

6 Likes

Today on meta.discourse.org

Key Stats

In the last 24 hours on meta.discourse.org, there were:

• 136 new posts
  • 18 new topics
  • Top users:

Interesting Topics

support

ux

dev

theme-component

installation

Activity by the @team Group

Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you again tomorrow! :slight_smile:

Key Stats

• 151 new posts and 29 new topics in the last 24 hours
  • Top users by likes and posts:

Interesting Topics

feature

support

community

#data & reporting

bug

dev

1 Like

Key Stats

Interesting Topics

feature

• jidanni suggested that the ‘like’ icon used to represent all emotions is sub-optimal. Firepup650 noted the reactions plugin allows changing the default like icon to any FA icon.

agitated.swanson asked about the roadmap for planned improvements to Discourse Splash, introduced in July 2022. Shauny would like to be able to replace the dots with a custom SVG animation.

theme-component

• In the Hide Lock Badge Icon component, nathank suggested adding compatibility with the unofficial Discourse Category Headers component. Lilly is open to PRs to improve the component.

In the Voice Recorder component, Arkshine offered to make a PR to use a third-party library that outputs MP3 for better playback support across devices.

installation

• Marek_Wojtaszek has been struggling to install Discourse locally, with ports 443/80 closed. The issue was nginx failing to get Let’s Encrypt certs. Configuring Cloudflare DNS and running acme.sh commands fixed it.

wordpress

• In a WordPress integration, Thomas_Rother is seeing the same issue of 422 errors when the WP Discourse plugin pulls comments. Static caching plugins like WP Rocket can interfere.

data & reporting

bug

• HamMan2118 reported a bug where private categories are exposed in the edit history when a topic is moved to a public category. The expected behavior is to hide inaccessible source categories from users.

support

• DevTantia got clarification that every post is a post, and a topic is a collection of posts. The first post in a topic could informally be called the OP (original post).

Mudit_Maheshwari asked about the high number of message-bus poll calls with unique client IDs. RGJ explained each client-id represents a browser session, so it indicates concurrent users, which is a good sign.

#sysadmin

• Roi is migrating a phpBB3 forum to Discourse but the import container build failed. Commenting out rm -R unicorn in the import template fixed it, likely due to a switch from Ubuntu to Debian.

Key Stats

Interesting Topics

community

dev

ux

wordpress

plugin

support

hosting

installation

#data & reporting

sso

Key Stats

Interesting Topics

community

dev

ux

plugin

wordpress

hosting

support

bug

1 Like

Key Stats

• 88 new posts and 12 new topics in the last 24 hours
  • Top users by likes and posts:

Interesting Topics

bug

ux

feature

support

dev

Key Stats

In the last 24 hours, there were:

• 101 new posts
  • 9 new topics

Top users by likes and posts:

Interesting Topics

#site feedback

#developers

theme-component

announcements

support

plugin

#admins

• Abbas_Muhammad had issues getting the AI bot working after configuring settings. sam noted support for new AI models was added. read more

• terraboss asked about blocking web crawlers using Cloudflare DNS. Jagster suggested using nginx and blocking certain countries. read more

1 Like

Key Stats

In the last 24 hours, there were 122 new posts and 19 new topics on meta.discourse.org. The top users by likes and posts were:

Interesting Topics

community

#site feedback

support

feature

bug

ux

Key Stats

In the last 24 hours, there were:

• 77 new posts
  • 16 new topics

Top users by likes and posts:

1. Arkshine (20 likes, 10 posts)
  2. Falco (8 likes, 1 post)
  3. davy (7 likes, 5 posts)

Interesting Topics

hosting

theme-component

ux

support

bug

feature

#admins

Key Stats

Interesting Topics

theme-component

feature

support

plugin

installation

ux

Key Stats

Interesting Topics

feature

support

bug

#sysadmin

• In a discussion on moving topics between Discourse instances, the question of easily migrating relevant uploads came up. pfaffman suggested pasting the original upload URLs into a post on the destination site, which should download them with the same SHA and “magically” update the links.

community

• zogstrip suggested using Watched Words to replace text with HTML, but later realized after his morning coffee this doesn’t actually work. He’s going to look into an easy fix.

• supermathie, as an “everyday many times a day” user of internal search, shared some feelings and insights on the topic of improving search. His tips are to focus on the most important keywords rather than writing a story.

• JammyDodger noted that most people don’t have the ability to directly edit the daily summary posts to correct hallucinations, as they are HTML rather than Markdown now.

• Lilly’s dev install broke suddenly with rake tasks aborting after an update. Removing the calendar plugin fixed the issue.

• sam said regarding the daily summary hallucinations, “Hallucinations suck, not if you come across them feel free to edit”. He’s thinking about what can be done there.

• mcwumbly commented that separating profile hiding and presence settings is likely only wanted by a small intersection of people using chat who also want to hide presence. It hasn’t been a highly requested feature so far.