A11Y: ARIA announcements should be used when navigating the topic list with keyboard shortcuts

Hi all,

This is a rather minor accessibility bug, but would be an incredibly cool feature. I (just) learned that it’s possible to navigate the topic list via K and J, and you can open a topic with O. And it almost works, but NVDA doesn’t announce what topic you’re focused on when doing this. It would be cool if an ARIA announcement was used to only announce the topic title and author when you navigate topics, or even better, it could be a language string you can set in site texts. This would make topic navigation insanely easy and smooth.

3 Likes

Great idea, I think this would be possible without too much complication — this would be similar to navigating via heading as suggested in the earlier topic you started, right? (A11Y: topic lists do not have headings for each topic)

2 Likes

Yup, it’d be similar. Right now NVDA just says “Row 1”, “Row 2”, etc., but this would complete that. It’s up to you guys whether both are an option that one could disable or not, but I don’t think this should be toggleable, unlike the heading thing which does make a bit more sense if it harms the visual appearance of the site.

1 Like