Making the name field required or removing it?

(Simon Legrand) #1

Hi. I’ve searched around but couldn’t find an easy way (via the admin page) to set the name field as required or to remove it so I can create a custom one that is required.

Sorry if this is a basic question, I am at a loss. :confused:

Allow “Name" field to be disabled in registration dialog
(PJH) #2

Is http://example.com/admin/customize/user_fields what you’re after?

(Simon Legrand) #3

I’ve worked out how to create custom ones and making them compulsory fields, but I cannot work out how to make the name field compulsory or remove it.

Currently if I create a name field and make it ‘required’, I end up with two name fields in the sign up form.

EDIT: I’m talking about the default sign-up name field that ships with vanilla discourse.

EDIT2: Ideally I would just like to know how to make that name field required.

(PJH) #4

Ah - I see what you’re getting at.

I’ve not seen anything in /admin to do that, and I highly suspect it’s not (currently) possible.

I suggest either making a request in, or moving this topic to, (probably) Feature

(Simon Legrand) #5

Ok, I’ve just moved it.

Thanks for your help so far.

EDIT: What a wonderful system Discourse is. Thanks a million to the devs and staff. It is an incredibly well thought out platform.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

@neil can you add to your list a checkbox to make full name a required field at user signup time?

Show Full Name and Title in emails?
(Simon Legrand) #7

Wonderful. Thanks @codinghorror and @neil!

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #8

Will be curious how this effects people who are invited to the forum.

(Neil Lalonde) #9

It’s on my list! Will get to it soon.

(Neil Lalonde) #10

I added this feature today.

There’s a checkbox in the Users section of the settings called “full name required”. Give it a try!

How can we require a full name?
(Jeff Atwood) #11