Making the name field required or removing it?

Hi. I’ve searched around but couldn’t find an easy way (via the admin page) to set the name field as required or to remove it so I can create a custom one that is required.

Sorry if this is a basic question, I am at a loss. :confused:

1 Like

Is http://example.com/admin/customize/user_fields what you’re after?

I’ve worked out how to create custom ones and making them compulsory fields, but I cannot work out how to make the name field compulsory or remove it.

Currently if I create a name field and make it ‘required’, I end up with two name fields in the sign up form.

EDIT: I’m talking about the default sign-up name field that ships with vanilla discourse.

EDIT2: Ideally I would just like to know how to make that name field required.

Ah - I see what you’re getting at.

I’ve not seen anything in /admin to do that, and I highly suspect it’s not (currently) possible.

I suggest either making a request in, or moving this topic to, (probably) Feature

Ok, I’ve just moved it.

Thanks for your help so far.

EDIT: What a wonderful system Discourse is. Thanks a million to the devs and staff. It is an incredibly well thought out platform.

2 Likes

@neil can you add to your list a checkbox to make full name a required field at user signup time?

6 Likes

Wonderful. Thanks @codinghorror and @neil!

Will be curious how this effects people who are invited to the forum.

It’s on my list! Will get to it soon.

4 Likes

I added this feature today.

There’s a checkbox in the Users section of the settings called “full name required”. Give it a try!

9 Likes