Topic List Previews Theme Component

This plugin looks great, @merefield.

Can we use this to make the category landing pages have a similar appearance to the main community home?

And if we use Discourse Hub, how does the community look with this plugin active?

1 Like

Thanks!

Category Discovery home is the only unsupported route at present unfortunately. There are no thumbnails serialised for this route and the way itā€™s rendered is different to all the other discovery routes. See further: Topic List Previews Theme Component - #105 by merefield

However, you might be able to use a side bar to present Categories and still display a Latest page. I use a similar technique with https://starzen.space but Iā€™m more interested in Tags in my case.

On Starzen I use the Layouts plugin with the Tag and Tag Intersection Widgets.

No different to web page. Feel free to add my example site https://starzen.space to your Hub temporarily to see the effect

3 Likes

@merefield awesome plugin!! Not sure if this had been mentioned (I did a thorough search but couldnā€™t find anything relevant) ā€“ the issue is, on mobile, when I scroll up and down in chrome, there is a topic-card level animation that seems a bit annoying. Each time my finger touches a card, it goes up and down. Can you point out where in the code i can disable this animation? Many thanks!!

1 Like

Do you see the issue on https://starzen.space? There is a press animation but it shouldnā€™t kick in if you are scrolling. Itā€™s only CSS so you could easily disable it by overriding the CSS locally.

1 Like

@merefield Yes, I see the same issue, on iPhone though. Let me share a quick screen recording

1 Like

Yep thatā€™s the press animation. You can probably disable it if you inspect the CSS and add the corresponding unsetting styling. Your demo is rather exaggerating it, it doesnā€™t bother me on iPhone?

Itā€™s not adding a massive amount to mobile though and harks from the days when the entire surface was a click to enter event (but Ember prevents this from working with the title click). Then again itā€™s not annoying me much either and you are the first to complain about it? Iā€™ll have a think about potentially removing this on mobile.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! While waiting for your actions, weā€™ll explore and see if we can find a way to identify where this pressing animation is defined, disable it and override with a local CSS. cc: @wjxphysics

3 Likes

A couple of updates:

• Core changes broke search:
  • Iā€™ve removed active animation from mobile to make scrolling smoother:

@FutureChaser thanks for the suggestion.

3 Likes

I forgot where I enabled this, but can anyone help me disable like and bookmark button from the thumbnail view?

1 Like

You can either:

• remove the sidecar plugin (but you will lose other useful functionality)
  • remove routes from topic list actions settings
1 Like

Oh thanks, ā€œactionsā€ got me to the right settings

1 Like

Hi Rob, Iā€™ve noticed an error in the console which seems to be related to the TLPs TC:

Is related to this:

It goes away when TLPs TC is disabled. Not sure what problem it causes though.

Also - tweak of wiki

Iā€™ve removed the links to thepavilion.io for this bit as they are no longer live:

3 Likes

Yep, I had noted that issue, will take a look at some point. Does not appear critical nor impacting any functionality, just not particularly elegant.

3 Likes

Hello,
Can we dispay full title of category in mobile layout?
Thank you!

1 Like

Hello,
My website donā€™t display photo thumbnail in mobile mode

Can you help me fix them?
Thank you!

1 Like

Sorry I cannot support individual customisation, but please go-ahead and have a go at customising or involve a developer.

Iā€™ve just updated to latest and there are no issues I can see (note: this only supports latest tests-passed)

What steps have you taken so far to debug it?

• any errors in your console log on desktop browser with ?mobile_view=1 querystring at end of URL?
  • any suspicious errors in your logs?
1 Like

I found the reasonā€¦
Iā€™ve used component : Hide user column build by @dax . I disable it and thumbnail display normal.

GitHub - discourse/discourse-hide-users-column: A theme component for Discourse

3 Likes

Hello,
How can we setup this theme component effect with Docs plugin

Thank you,

1 Like

If Iā€™m understanding right your question and you are looking for same outloot at docs-page than what you get on plain forumside, you canā€™t. Docs plugin is expanding how to show some topics and is kind of another way alter look of Discourse, as topic list previews is too.

Iā€™m simplifieng hard now, but

• TLP is fine tuning look of forum
  • Docs is giving static-like way to browse some content

Two different tool to different content or purpose, kind of. Docs is like a library or browser used to shown special content. Like faqs, helps or, as Iā€™m using it, blogs.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not at any stage explicitly developed or tested this with the Docs plugin, so I can only say it isnā€™t currently intentionally supported. PR welcome if you discover it is not.

1 Like