Discourse Docs (Documentation Management)

:discourse2: Summary Discourse Docs provides the ability to find and filter knowledge base topics
:hammer_and_wrench: Repository Link https://github.com/discourse/discourse-docs
:open_book: Install Guide How to install plugins in Discourse

Features

The Docs plugin is a continuation of development on the Knowledge Explorer Theme Component. You can see it in action at https://meta.discourse.org/docs.

In essence, Docs allows for easier surfacing of knowledge-base style topics across a defined set of categories and/or tags.

Filter the list down by tags, search via the search bar, and click on topics to see the first post – all without leaving the context of the knowledge explorer.

Need to find a knowledge base topic from somewhere else in Discourse? Use the new search helper: in:kb.

Configuration

1. Install the plugin following these instructions.
  2. Enable the plugin by turning on the docs enabled setting.
  3. Add categories and tags to the docs categories and docs tags settings.
  4. Find the Docs link in the hamburger menu.
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 12.49.14 PM
  5. Profit with easier access to knowledge!

Helpful Pairings

CHANGELOG

• 2021-01-18T06:00:00Z Rename to discourse-docs
  • 2021-01-13T06:00:00Z Add topic title and category to browser title
  • 2020-10-01T05:00:00Z Added onebox support

TODO

76 Likes

This may be a stupid question. How do I promote a topic from the forums to the Docs section of my site?

It’s based on the topic being either in a category or having a tag you’ve set in the Docs settings. :+1:

Thanks for the quick answer. One more question, how do you edit the document without changing the original forum topic?

1 Like

You can’t. Document is only copy, mirror, of topics. As TOC etc. are.

2 Likes

I was afraid of that. We wish to use the “Docs” section as our KB. Without the ability to edit posts for KB publication, I don’t think this is going to work for us. :frowning:

Then you don’t let edit. That isn’t any issue.

@tkearsley I’m not sure I understand the issue you are describing… a “document” in the Discourse Docs plugin is just a forum topic with reply posts just like every other. You can edit any of the “document” reply posts underneath the “document” topic, as well as the “document” topic itself.

Also, you can limit your “documents” to one specific category, and also assign specific tags to that category…

Am I misunderstanding your use case?

1 Like

You don’t “promote” a Topic, per se. This is how you do it:

In the composer (while you are creating or editing a Topic), you assign that Topic to a Category which you have designated in the Discourse Docs plugin settings.

The limitation (just like every other Reply post under any other Topic) is that when you are Replying to an existing Topic you cannot set or change the Category. If you have the permissions to edit the Topic, you can change the Category (in the composer) while you are editing the Topic.

You can grant that permission to other users (or an entire Group of users) to change the Category of a Topic by granting them permissions to edit that Topic.

However, remember that (unlike Tags) only one Category can be assigned to a Topic.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I am not a fan of editing the original post. Not sure how our developers would feel if we went in a rewrote their topic. We want to have the ability for our technical writers to take the content of a solved topic and craft a professional KB article.

I was able to do this with Lithium years ago, it was a great feature to have.

1 Like

I’m afraid I still don’t understand. What prevents your technical writers from crafting a professional KB article using the content of a solved topic?

1 Like

Yes, and they will do that, And after that it will be published on KB-kategory and it will show in Docs too — or it will be tagged as KB.

I still don’t understand where is the issue.

1 Like

Copy/paste? I don’t understand why they would not be able to write such. Do you want the raw markdown? There’s a path for that (that I cannot remember right now).

Hello,
How display Docs page become homepage of Discourse?
Thank you!