Unlisted topics are included in the Tag (topic) count for normal users who don't actually see those topics

Tags used in private staff categories don’t appear in the counts on the public tags page to non-staff users, which makes sense. So a tag only used in a staff category doesn’t appear on that page at all.

However, a tag added to an unlisted topic does show up on the tags page for anonymous or non-staff members, but the topic doesn’t appear on the page for that particular tag.

Oh good - a topic about bears:

Oh pook - no, there isn’t.

It doesn’t matter whether the topic was tagged before or after it was unlisted; the behaviour is the same. (This happens even if the topic and tag were created by a TL4 member, who has the link to that topic in their profile; the member can see the tag, but not access the topic from that page.)

It seems to me it would make more sense to treat tags on unlisted topics in the same way as tags on private topics, and only show them to moderators/admins.

3 Likes

Tested against latest using my sandbox. So just to make it absolutely clear the recommendation/feature request is to make tags on unlisted work similarly to tags found in private categories (since by design unlisted isn’t viewable to members via the topic lists)

1 Like

This request does not make sense; why would you have only a single topic in a tag, and that single topic is unlisted? Why would you have a bunch of topics all unlisted with the same tag? There is no similar behavior for a category nor should there be…

[quote=“codinghorror, post:3, topic:39897”]
why would you have only a single topic in a tag, and that single topic is unlisted?
[/quote]Because it happened to be a test topic for something.

But the general principal holds true. It makes no sense (to me) to show on the tag page that there are 12 topics tagged “Windows7”, but when I follow that link, I find only nine because three have been unlisted for some reason. The tag page should reflect those topics which I can access - as it does in the case of private categories.

3 Likes

Well, not just a test topic, but topics we don’t want to have, we sometimes unlist and those individuals like to use tags for whatever reason, so they’ll put a long list of tags (many that are mis-used).

Yes, this is a rare occurence, but something we notice that was behaving differently than tags used in a private category and unlist and private categories seem to exhibit a lot of the same behavior, they don’t show themselves to normal members. But tags used in those related topics do get shown to normal users.

Actually more on this. Unlisted topics are included in the Tag (topic) count for normal users who don’t actually see those topics. That is probably the best description (can I update the topic title to be that?).

3 Likes