The discussion revolves around disabling the “post approved” email notification that users receive when their posts are approved by moderators on a Discourse forum. Here are the key points:
omppatil inquired about an admin setting to disable the “post approved” email, as these notifications can be unnecessary if users check the site regularly.
pfaffman clarified that emails are only sent if users are not actively viewing notifications on the site.
Tris20 and wisedesk expressed interest in disabling these emails for categories where post approval is required, as they contribute to notification noise.
JammyDodger confirmed there is no current setting to disable specific email notifications like “post approved”.
supermathie suggested overriding the email template to blank as a potential hack to prevent the emails.
wisedesk noted there doesn’t seem to be a template for the “post approved” notification, only text customization options.
supermathie found the translation string key for the “post approved” notification, suggesting it could potentially be overridden.
wisedesk clarified that the “post approved” emails are sent regardless of whether the user is logged in or not.
Hi!,
I am writing to ask a question about the email notifications for the approval process in Discourse. Is there a setting to disable the “post approved” email that is sent to users?
I have noticed that every time I approve or reject a post, the user who submitted the post receives an email notification. This can be annoying and unnecessary for some users, especially if they already use the Discourse app or website to check the status of their posts.
I would like to know if there is a way to turn off these email notifications, or at least make them optional for the users. I have searched the settings and the documentation, but I could not find any option to do that.
If you know how to disable the “post approved” email, or if you have any suggestions or feedback, please let me know. I appreciate your help and cooperation.
I’m also interested in this. We are building category where posts need to be pre-approved, and the users already know this. An email notification would be noise and contribute towards alert fatigue.
This topic addresses a similar issue, but not this particular one.
I’d like to disable “your post was approved” emails for users. Currently we have a) approval needed for all posts (we’re fairly small) and b) emails on for all watched topics. I don’t see a setting that controls other email notifications.
I just tested this with a dummy user and received an email notification if the post was approved after I had logged off the dummy account AND while currently still logged in (I also saw a notification in the notification centre).
Well, they are shown in different contexts and behave differently – one as desired, the other not.
“Your post needs to be approved” is a popup overlay displayed while logged in. I do have email replies enabled so there is a theoretical way it could be displayed when a user is not logged in. However no such email notifications are sent in any case (which is the desired behaviour here).
“Your post was approved” is not a popup overlay, but just appears as a notification in the “notification centre”. In addition to this notification while logged in, an email is sent a) if a post via the web was approved when a user is logged in, b) if a post via the web was approved when a user was logged out, and c) if a reply sent by email was approved when a user was logged in. I don’t want email notifications for this event sent in any condition.
So I’m wondering if there is a way to turn this off. Presumably there is a setting I’ve missed?
From the look of it, I don’t think there is a customisable template for the post_approved one. But I like the idea. That said, a checkbox to ‘suppress email template’ might work on that page too.
Since the wording is different from above searching for “post approved” won’t find it, but search for post_approved taken from the other key and you’ll find: