Category Moderator Improvements

Can this be restricted?

Only category moderators can edit their own category description, so it is restricted to the ones you manually assign to the group responsible for a category.

And no, as we do with everything else, there is no configurable permission grid for each specific role permission.

7 Likes

Do you have plans to implement ‘Delete Topic’ and ‘Make Personal Message’ ?

I think ‘unlist’ would be better here. I prefer if site moderators can delete.

5 Likes

The ability for category moderators to edit posts has been merged in just now.

20 Likes

Brilliant!

I note that the category moderator can edit all posts in the relevant category, but cannot edit the title of the category’s topics directly.

This is different / inconsistent with the way things work for Moderators and Admins, who can directly edit the title of a topic. Is that deliberate?

There is currently a workaround: they can edit the first post of the topic as this enables them to also access the title and the tags. But this is a bit messy.

7 Likes

When a new topic is created, the first post is part of the creation and description. Hence, for a category mod to edit the title of the topic, editing first post is the only way to go. The permissions seem to follow the OP/topic creator’s permission. Yes, it is “a bit messy,” in a way.

1 Like

It looks like we’ve been listened to - Category mods can now edit topic titles directly. Brilliant!

6 Likes

Could you please confirm whether category moderators are able to pin topics to the top of the category? I believe the answer is no… but just wanted to double-check.

This image is from being logged in as a category moderator, and these drop down options don’t provide a way to pin topics.

Staff powers are more extensive and they can pin topics.

8 Likes

Is it possible to change via CSS the shield of category moderators to something else so we can differentiate category moderators from moderators?

Or phrased differently, am I able to target the .svg-icon (which is now a shield) for .first.username.category-moderator specifically? so far I can change .svg-icon, but for all moderators, category or not.
Thanks.

1 Like

I’m sure you know about the built in feature but otherwise :wink: :

3 Likes
section#topic div.topic-post.category-moderator div.topic-meta-data span.category-moderator span.svg-icon-title {
  display: none;
}

Selector above will hide shields only from category moderators. Adjust to your needs.

You may want to read How to make CSS changes on your site and Developer’s guide to Discourse Themes

4 Likes

Thanks for the pointer!

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Review page doesn’t show restricted tags

Does a category moderator have the privilege to move topic to another category? Does he need to be a category moderator of both categories (source and target category)?

2 Likes

An easy way to find out is to go to the topic title and if there’s an edit pencil to the right of it as shown here,

Click on the pencil and you should see something like this

Click on the drop down arrow on the right and it will show you the list of categories.

Either scroll down to whichever category you want, click on that and the new category appears in the box. Click the arrow to make it so and it will exit automatically. Click X to cancel.

If the edit pencil next to the topic title is not there, a category moderator cannot move the topic.

1 Like

If there a way to add the ability to pin/unpin topics either officially or through an add-on?

2 Likes

If you’re talking about Category Mods having that ability, I don’t think that question was ever answered.

Regular Mods/Staff can pin/unpin topics.

2 Likes

If it’s easy I support pin/unping being added to the category mod abilities @jamie.wilson.

8 Likes

I have some code sitting in a branch to do this. I’ll double-check it in the morning, and create the PR then.

5 Likes