Category Previews

Thanks for those tips.

I tried a second example:

internal~Join Group X!~Come join our formerly top secret group.~https://example.com/~group-x

… then checked with both an anonymous session, and also by impersonating a non-admin and non group-x member user account. Unfortunately neither preview showed up including this second confirmation one. For my admin account, it looked OK, appearing directly above the “internal” slug category, as expected, with the correct link destination, etc.

We do have some things that aren’t quite normal seeming with respect to category displays, so it’s possible this is related to that, unless other folks end up finding a similar type of non-expected behavior. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is odd that it would display for the admin, but not for the other users that should also see it. Just to be sure, your internal category is visible to anons and non group-x users?

3 Likes

Thanks for that clue! I had misunderstood the purpose of the first field in the string. I had been using the “members only category” associated with group membership.

Once I changed the first field to an existing, public, open-to-everyone category, everything worked as expected. :tada:

news~Join Group X!~Come join our formerly top secret group.~/pub/membershipinfo~group-x

TLDR (for how my brain interpreted it) - I needed to understand that the first field is where you want the “preview” advertisement to appear in the category list. (In this case, just above the public “news” category.)

3 Likes

I really appreciate you saying this. I had thought that the category slug in the settings was for an existing private category that I wanted to pull into the category menu. Instead, I’ve realized that this theme component is basically just allowing us to put in a custom link above a specific category in the category list and that the link really doesn’t have to be related to an existing category. For example, I just put welcome~Visit Google!~This is just a custom link in the category list~https://www.google.com and it worked.

I think I was getting confused by the name Category Previews and not seeing how it functioned, so thank you for pointing that out.

Also, I note that this seems to only appear in the category list view, not on the category dropdown menu or in search.

2 Likes

@tshenry is it possible to findout how we can make this category private with boxed style ?

2 Likes

As luck would have it, I just added support for the “Boxes with Subcategories” desktop category page style :slight_smile:

Note that “Boxed with Featured Topics” is still not supported yet.

7 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Adding a section above the boxed categories list

@tshenry is there a way to hide these from staff?

It’s very confusing seeing the real category and the fake category together, we keep clicking on the wrong one :man_facepalming:

Even a CSS hiding trick would do :blush:

1 Like

I understand that the slug is the one for the category just below this fake category label. Then there needs to have a reachable category below.
Is there a way to put the fake label at the bottom of the list? Is there a special slug like at-last or something that would allow to put it completely below everything?

Edit : I’ve found a hack.
I have added a dummy category where no one has any writing right but everyone has reading right. I hide this category with CSS display="none", and I made it appear last. It’s totally not satisfying but… it works great.

This is a great component, but I’m having some issues with it not hiding the actual category. I have tried this with a non-admin account and as anon. Below is what I see along with my settings. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

URL of category: https://community.naturephotographers.network/c/beginners/147

Category previews entry:

beginners~Beginners Feedback~A place for beginner photographers to share their images and get feedback in a comfortable atmosphere with other beginners. Experienced members of NPN will give feedback to help guide beginners in their photographic journey.~/g/Beginners~Beginners,Beginner_Support
1 Like

Where are you adding this CSS please @oca ?

EDIT: Found it here and changed the ID to suit: How to Hide the Staff Category with css? - #3 by Tim_Jefferies

2 Likes

This theme sadly doesn’t work with a group that has its visibility set to “Group owners”.

Is that possible to fix / add @tshenry ? :thinking:

1 Like

You configure it to display by entering a category that users can see. It’s a bit confusing (I had to read it several times) . I believe that it should work in your case. (Note the word “important” in the description of the configuration field)

1 Like

Alas, the second of the two “important” messages says,

• IMPORTANT: The groups chosen must configured so that the “Who can see this group?” visibility setting is set to “Group owners, member” or less restrictive.

Side note, I think “Group owners, member” should actually say “Group owners, members and moderators”

:confused:

I’m wondering if the theme can be modified to work when the group is set to “Group owners”.

1 Like

The category that you attach the message to must allow people to see it. The category that your want to advertise does not. Or that’s how I read it.

1 Like

Hi @tshenry ,

I am following your instruction and test it on multiple users in different groups. No user can see the category preview other than the admin. What did I do wrong?

private-lounge~Private Lounge Preview~Private lounge reserved for our experts and contributors.~https://example.com~group_a,group_b,group_c

Group A, B, C are all viewable by everyone.

Thank you for your help!

I see this seems to be compatible with “Boxes with Subcategories”, and I have that working on my installation, however as soon as I enable the air theme the category previews disappear. Is there a way to get this working with that theme? Thank you!

I’ve started doing some debugging and I can see that it is entering this block and should be adding the previewData to render, but it doesn’t even show up in the output HTML on the page.

1 Like

This looks perfect for what I need: a big fat warning for users willing to enter a category.

But this doesn’t seem to work with sub-categories. I tried entering the following patterns:

• sub-category
  • parent-sub-category
  • parent:sub-category
  • parent/sub-category

None of them worked. But parent works fine (except I don’t want the category preview there.

Do you know if there is a working pattern, or if this can be supported?

1 Like