Checklist Plugin - Interactive Checkboxes made Simple

(cpradio) #1

I’m happy to announce that I’ve ported the checklist plugin created by @lightyear to run on the latest version of Discourse.

You can find the new repo at GitHub - cpradio/discourse-plugin-checklist: A simple checklist rendering plugin for discourse

With this release comes a few enhancements.

• You can disable the plugin in its entirety from the Admin > Settings area (strike through still gets processed, but the checkboxes won’t render and won’t be clickable)
  • You can keep checking/unchecking boxes on the same post without having to refresh the page.

Any issues should be reported either here or via a GitHub issue. I also welcome translation file PRs, or general enhancement PRs.

Checklist: A simple markdownified checkbox-plugin with inline-updating
Task manager within Discourse?
How to install a plugin on Discourse-hosted-Discourse?
"I read it" button alongside "I like it" button?
Task manager within Discourse?
Any way to have a single option poll with just one option to choose from?
No way to install markdown-it plugins?
Using Discourse: Tracking tasks / TODO lists?
GitHub-style task list
Discourse Math Plugin
YouTube embeds are broken when using checklist plugin
Quick Messages Plugin
(Anton) #2

Whoever uses the plugin, please tell us about your ideas of its application in your forum.

(Nukeador) #3

Thanks for this, it’s really useful for teams that use discourse to track bugs, features or plans.

(Michael Downey) #4

This is fun, but before installing it, my team is trying to figure out what’s the difference here between using the plugin and just using emoji, e.g.:

• :ballot_box_with_check: Something I finished

• :black_square_button: Something I haven’t finished

Anyone have feedback?

(Daniela) #5

Much better the plugin, for the simple reason you do not have to re-open the post and add an icon but simply click on the task you complete!
Using icons is a nightmare if you have a lot of to-do list to control (believe me!) :smiley:

(cpradio) #6

The difference is that the plugin lets you interact with the checkboxes in the posts, creating a quick todo list style ability. So when you complete a task, you simply click the checkbox to check it.

Feel free to play with it at https://sandbox.cpradio.org

(Aaron Makaruk) #7

How do I uninstall this plugin?

(cpradio) #8

Per the README on github

Follow the directions at Install a Plugin using GitHub - cpradio/discourse-plugin-checklist: A simple checklist rendering plugin for discourse as the repository URL.

(Aaron Makaruk) #9

Thanks for the quick follow up. My app.yml file looks like this (no github clone lines anywhere):

(cpradio) #10

Page down, it is near the bottom of the app.yml

(Aaron Makaruk) #11

Ah, I see, thank you.

Hello, I’m seeing errors on my log that seems to be thrown by your plugin.

The error is Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'getModel' of undefined, and seems to be thrown here:

It happens whenever an user opens a markdown editor, or types something in it.

(cpradio) #13

What version of Discourse and of the Checklist Plugin are you running?

Discourse v1.6.0.beta1 +48

discourse-plugin-checklist 0.2.0

(cpradio) #15

K, just released a fix for that.

That fixed it, thanks for the quick reply!

(Marco) #17

Thanks @cpradio I have installed this plugin on my site and work very well :slight_smile:

(Anton) #18

For some reason, it won’t let Discrouse bootstrap:

FAILED

Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse/plugins && git clone GitHub - cpradio/discourse-plugin-checklist: A simple checklist rendering plugin for discourse failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 334 exit 128>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:108:in `spawn’
exec failed with the params {“cd”=>"$home/plugins", “cmd”=>[“mkdir -p plugins”, “git clone GitHub - discourse/docker_manager: plugin for use with discourse docker image”, “git clone GitHub - discourse/discourse-data-explorer: SQL Queries for admins in Discourse”, “git clone GitHub - discourse/discourse-staff-notes: Plugin for Staff users to create notes on users”, “git clone GitHub - angusmcleod/discourse-quick-messages”, “git clone GitHub - discourse/discourse-voting: Adds the ability for voting on a topic within a specified category in Discourse.”, “git clone GitHub - cpradio/discourse-plugin-checklist: A simple checklist rendering plugin for discourse”, “git clone GitHub - angusmcleod/discourse-ratings”, “git clone GitHub - angusmcleod/discourse-topic-previews”, “git clone GitHub - cpradio/discourse-plugin-checklist: A simple checklist rendering plugin for discourse”]}
b8b22a814ec9bc3cdf6b22a9b36c4f2adcb295e50114d52b971d04d9e77f4b44
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one

As soon as I comment out the git clone instruction for this plugin, Discourse bootstraps normally again.

Babble - A Chat Plugin [ARCHIVE]
(cpradio) #19

If you go to a random folder on your server and run git clone https://github.com/cpradio/discourse-plugin-checklist.git does it work? (maybe in /home/yourusername)

Also how much physical memory do you have and what is your swap? My server still seems to run okay.

(Anton) #20

git clone worked just fine in a /tmp folder while on root account.
Running a 2GB-memory instance at DigitalOcean with a 1GB swap configured.