Homepage Feature

Thanks for the great component @awesomerobot, I used it on one of my sites today.

I was initially forced to fork it, though, as one feature which would be nice is optionally linking to the first post.

Functionally some sites, like the one I was using it on, might prefer to link to the OP every time instead of latest read post, for e.g. FAQs, Site Guidelines etc., because as it stands, if you’ve read the article, you are subsequently lead to the bottom of the target on future clicks, which is jarring and not helpful.

For single post Topics, one solution is to remove the Topic closure notifications, but if you want to get to the OP when there is more than one real Post, you are out of luck.

I may at some point PR a setting for this if it would be accepted, but for now the very simple changes are here in this template:

6 Likes

Topic List Previews might be more suitable for you, it supports an unlimited number of “Featured Images” (topics) with a scroll bar. You can disable the rest of the features and use only that. Demo: Rideables - A forum to talk and share ideas about everything to do with rideables: modern personal electric mobility solutions, like electric scooters, skateboards and one wheels.

1 Like

Is it possible to make it look like on https://realtimevfx.com/ (desktop version) on mobile version? As in, left-right swap and topic title on the thumbnail?

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m having an issue where on mobile it keeps featuring a post that isn’t tagged, and it’s always the same untagged post. On desktop or anywhere not displaying the mobile version everything works great and exactly like it should. Any chance anyone knows why it may be doing that? Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Hi, really appreciate this!

Any guidance on the recommended size for the thumbnail images?

1 Like

Hi, did you get your carousel working?

1 Like

We are having the same issue on our forum! Only happening on mobile versions:
If you go to the forum directly, the bug will occur (non-tagged threads will appear there).
If you happen to go the front page from another forum page (e.g. you are in thread and click on the home icon), the featured threads will appear in the list.

Maybe @awesomerobot could take a look at this?

Testing this today it doesn’t seem to consistently pick up the featured tags. It will randomly swap between showing the correct featured topics and other times it will just grab the most recent topics with activity Changing the tag names or toggling any of the theme component settings doesn’t seem to make a difference, it just randomly swaps between showing the topics with the specified featured tag or the latest topics with activity. Theme component and discourse at at latest versions.

3 Likes

Could the random picked threads (especially on mobile) be caused by this?

If yes, maybe it can be fixed as equally ‘quick’ (although hacky) as in that thread? :thinking:

2 Likes

@awesomerobot recently have an issue with no Featured showing at all. Running Latest Stable all elements are updated. To test the theme component directly. I ran a preview so no other theme/components would not be active.

Is there maybe changes for Test passed that requires stable to install with a fall back option maybe?

site

Thank you for any feedback/assistance.

3 Likes

Yes, there was an update to the component that relies on a helper that’s not present in the stable version.

There’s not a great way to downgrade a component, so at the moment it might be easiest to reinstall it from a different branch. I’ve setup a stable-compatible branch for this.

If you reinstall the component, and click advanced, you should be able to add the branch name.

4 Likes

Awesome will give it shot. It was working earlier. Thanks for the speedy response!

EDiT: Worked perfectly aa before. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Is it correct to say that this will not work if the topics don’t have an image?

4 Likes

yes that is correct, this will only show topics with images

4 Likes

Hi, I’m having a problem and some topics with the featured tag are not being displayed. I tested other tags and it works fine. It’s the featured tag the one with the problem.
Do you know what could be going on? Thanks

3 Likes

Hi Chris, would this be compatible with Air Theme?

2 Likes

Hi @awesomerobot could a feature like this be added to be able to display on a specific category/categories as Outlined here?

2 Likes

I installed this plugin but nothing happens, does it still work?

2 Likes

It does still work, by default it will show a list of topics tagged featured that also contain images in the first post. If you don’t have any topics with images tagged featured nothing will appear.

4 Likes

Thanks for answering me. Do you know if it is possible to leave the image on the left side and the text on the right side? And in addition to showing the topic title, only showing a couple of lines of text from the topic post? something like this

Deskop

Mobile

Through CSS I managed to make it look the same, but a piece of the post text of the topic is missing, only the text of the topic is strange, it would be cool if it could appear the first word of the post of the topic.

1 Like