Retort - a reaction-style plugin for Discourse

(James Kiesel) #1

Hey folks,

I had a hack weekend and came up with a pretty cool plugin; it allows you to add slack-style reactions to posts via the normal emoji picker menu.

Feel free to pull it down and have a play (http://www.github.com/gdpelican/retort), keeping in mind that it was thrown together quickly and may still have a rough edge or two (let me know what sucks!).

Enjoy!

Symbol for like - why is it a :heart:?
"Nodding your head" in online communication
Reaction Emoticons
"I read it" button alongside "I like it" button?
People are not using the :heart: button
NEW LIKE and LIKE COUNT?
Discourse Classic Theme
Struggling to remove automated post quality control
Babble - A Chat Plugin
What is the most awesome plugin for Discourse, that does not yet exist?
:clap: Claps Vs Likes :heart:
Discourse Vincent theme
Custom JS in head makes messages not work
Is it possible to add other like buttons?
How can I add "dislike" button?
Retort + Post Like Counter
Love, Hate, Sad, Laughter
Like, dislike or ambivalent
Negative feedback or "disapprove" feature?

This looks awesome!

Though, would it be possible to limit the usable retorts (so only whitelisted, approved can be used), similar to how Xenforo does it?

(James Kiesel) #3

Seems like a possibility, sure.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

One thing I couldn’t tell just by looking at your demo: Is there a way to see who gave which reaction? If you hover over a posted reaction on Slack, you’ll see that "bob and alice reacted with :gasp:

Is there an equivalent to that here?

(James Kiesel) #5

Yes, it supports that:

Although the thing that it doesn’t do yet is group the reactions by type (so 3 people reacting with heart face will render out three separate heart face reactions); I’ll likely do this at some point soon though.

(James Kiesel) #6

FYI I’ve updated this to work with the new compatibility layer changes outlined here:

(Ivan) #7

Hey James.

Just wondering if you’ve made any progress on getting the reactions to tally up according to the type of reaction?

(James Kiesel) #8

Well, the quick answer is, I haven’t done anything.

The slightly longer answer is that if I get bugged enough by a few people interested in putting this on their instance, and feeling the need for this functionality, I’d be happy to spend a little more time on it.

(Unknwon) #9

Hi, I’ve added line git clone https://github.com/gdpelican/retort.git to my container/app.yml, and added retort to Basic Setup -> post menu, also enabled Plugins -> retort enabled.

But when I visit the topic/post, the smile icon does not appear anyway.

Running latest Discourse v1.5.0.beta11 +187.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

(cpradio) #10

Chances are you are on a version that needs the new plugin API and this hasn’t been updated to utilize it yet.

(Unknwon) #11

Ah… OK, thank you though!

(cpradio) #12

I’ve got the initializer working, but I’m struggling to figure out how to deal with the new post after cooked connector. Primarily because I don’t have a lot of experience with the new API yet, so I’m still trying to learn it by examples.

(James Kiesel) #13

Super appreciate the help @cpradio. Discourse pulling the rug out from the plugin APIs has come at a bit of an inconvenient time, heh, but will definitely commit to getting everything back up and running as soon as I’m able.

(cpradio) #14

No problem. I have commited the initializer changes here

@eviltrout, do you mind giving me a helping hand so I can learn this a bit better, I know I need to use decorateWidget, I think, for the post-contents:after-cooked, but it complains that retorts is not defined. Which makes me feel I either need to include it, or change how it is being accessed. (also, talk to me like I’m a 2 year old, as JavaScript frameworks are still not my fortray and my experience with it is still only via Discourse).

@gdpelican, if you have any ideas too, more than willing to take advice as I keep pushing on figuring out how to get this operational again.

(cpradio) #15

Sweet, I’m making progress, I now have accecss to the retorts in the decorateWidget post-contents:after-cooked call. This shouldn’t take too much longer (I don’t think).

I’m placing the retorts in the PostSerializer, this can probably be refactored/refined to be better, but it works.

(cpradio) #16

And done!

@gdpelican, I haven’t updated the version in the plugin.rb, not sure how you want to do that, but I’ll submit a PR here shortly.

PR Submitted

I didn’t update the version in the PR, so feel free to update it accordingly.

(cpradio) #17

So there is one bug, I can’t get it to refresh the post when a retort is added… I even tried manually calling appEvents.trigger('post-stream:refresh', { id: post.id});, but that didn’t do it either… :confused:

So right now it requries you to reload the topic or the post to see the retorts that were added.

(cpradio) #18

So through trial and error this rerenders the retort for the current user, but it doesn’t force a rerender for viewing users.

Edit: More Corrections

• Anonymous do not see the retort button anymore
  • Anonymous can see the retorts
  • Fixed all outstanding issues on GitHub (including the hard coding of the Emoji URL)

(cpradio) #19

I also started grouping the retorts, but I don’t really like this approach, it should be done at a model/database level and sent down already goruped, otherwise, it becomes very costly.

(James Kiesel) #20

Whoa, this is great! Thanks for the spike, @cpradio! It’ll help me out a bunch to have a reference for when I make the adjustment for Babble as well.

For the grouping, I’ve actually re-implemented this for Loomio (here) in a way that caters better to that use case; instead of hashes which look like this

{
  bob: "smiley",
  alice: "smiley"
}

We really want hashes which look like this:

{
  smiley: ["bob", "alice"] 
}

Which makes the clientside rendering pretty trivial. It may be backwards incompatible, but I think we’ll have to do it that way to get the grouping functionality working in a way that isn’t horrible.