How do I create a whisper post?

(Felix Freiberger) #1

Whispers are a staff-only feature that allows for private discussion between staff members inside a public topic.

Before whisper can be used, they need to be enabled by an administrator by checking enable whispers in site settings.

When enabled, all staff members can create a whisper by starting to create a reply as usual, selecting the :gear: icon in the toolbar and clicking Toggle whisper:

The composer will indicate that the reply is a whisper by showing (whisper) next to the title.

12 Likes
How to whisper?
Allow post author to see/reply to whisper posts
Task manager within Discourse?
Unable to retroactively make a post reply into a whisper
Hide replies from trust levels
Staff notes to a post add the note to the user instead of post
Disable e-mails to staged topic creator
(Mittineague) #2

Has the “when the last post is a whisper unread needs to be dismissed” thing been fixed yet?

1 Like
(Felix Freiberger) #3

No, and it looks like it’s going to take a while (would need a major refactor).

5 Likes
(Sora &\) #4

I enable whisper but other user can’t see button toggle whisper, Don’t i add user to staff? How i add users to staff?
Can i add other group to whisper toggle? Not admin or modarator…

Can anyone whisper post but only staff and this user see whisper?

Theme component toggle whisper for a normal and staff member
(Felix Freiberger) #6

Whispers can only be used by staff users, i.e. users that are Moderators or admins.

6 Likes
(Quim Gil) #7

Can someone confirm whether TL4 users can whisper or not, and if they can how to enable it? I cannot find a clear answer in the documentation / configuration about trust levels and whispers.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

I think I misspoke there. I don’t think TL4 users can whisper, only staff. Maybe @sam can confirm?

3 Likes
(Felix Freiberger) #9

I just tested it, TL4 cannot whisper.

5 Likes