Topic List Thumbnails Theme Component

Aha, that seems reasonably simple and straightforward - thank you David!

EDIT: Also, I take your point regarding Fakebook - weren’t aware of that themes now can implement thumbnail view, I’ll will definitely test that when trying to create my “own” theme!

1 Like

You can create your own theme component for all modifications to existing themes and components. That way your customizations survive updates.

2 Likes

Really nice theme component, loading is really quick. I played with it a little bit to add excerpt on grid it was a fun challenge.

Would it be possible to add grid/masonery/list presentation for specific tags or is it too much a pain in the a** for a relatively niche usage? :thinking:

If it’s not worth it, I definitely wouldn’t push it

3 Likes

I think it should be relatively easy, I’ll give it a try in the next few days :eyes:

4 Likes

Are you planning to add an excerpt to the list of topics? Very nice component!!

David already did it

Excerpt don’t work with grid/masonery presentation to not mess up alignment, I played with it to see what I could do. I would recommand Topic List Preview if you want something like Masonery presentation with excerpt.

Both components work really well on List presentation though.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Changing excerpt length

As I understand it, images from onebox are not show as topic thumbnails?

Small onebox avatars/thumbnails are not used, no. Large images from oneboxes (e.g. instagram) are used.

4 Likes

Question: Youtube thumbnails - Is there a setting I am missing, or do you have to add videos in a certain manner to ensure a topic thumbnail for Youtube videos? I have tested with several videos, rebaked posts etc. but alas, nothing seems to generate thumbnails for me. Any hints or explained requirements would be much appreciated.

Feature request: Additional component setting - In addition to being able to set style (list/grid/masonry) for categories, it would be awesome if you could do the same for front page and/or recommended posts which are rendered below a post. Use case: Wanting to have grid view on the front page, but list view for recommended posts.

Thank you for considering.

Make sure you have ‘download remote images’ enabled on your site. Only basic youtube URLs are supported - links including a playlist are not. You can read more here:

Great idea, this would be good to implement alongside the per-tag options :+1:

2 Likes

Aha, thanks @david! That was certainly my “issue”, much appreciated! :ok_hand:

Also, glad to hear that the feature request will be taken under consideration :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey. I would like to be able to exclude the image if it does not fit. Is such an opportunity planned?

One more case, in the Topic List Previews plugin you could select an image from the list, it really helped out in some cases.

Thank you!

1 Like

There’s a TC version of Topic List Previews now that retains that feature if you install the sidecar plugin. You currently need a plugin to be able to choose a thumbnail because you need to change the back end.

2 Likes

I installed sidecar plugin and activate

- git clone https://github.com/merefield/discourse-topic-previews.git -b "theme_sidecar"

Sorry for any confusion, but this only works with the TLP TC. I responded because you mentioned TLP.

1 Like

Testing it now, works really nice!

I’ve noticed a couple of issues with grid mode:

• Full/Desktop primarily, not so much an issue on mobile - Topics with super long titles (using default max title length) can push the thumbnail up really high up, until it’s really tiny or isn’t visible. Topics loaded with a lot of tags also get this.

• Full/Desktop Only - Categories with a longer name will push the the user’s avatar and topic last update time to be cut off by the edge of the thumbnail.

• Full/Desktop Only - Avatars aren’t displaying for the suggested topics underneath threads. It’s displaying what look small blurry square segments of the thumbnail. This happens on both masonry and grid.

I’m on the beta branch.

Hello @merefield,

could you guide me how to change?

Thanks for the great work! I just have to questions/suggestions:

1. Will this one work if the image is hosted on another site? As my site has a lot of images so I don’t want to turn on download remote images to local setting. If we must turn this setting on, will it become heavy for hosting and loading if there are many images?

2. Can we have the share and like button for each post in Masonry and Grid mode? That could be awesome!

Thanks!

I realise that if the image is not big enough, then there is a “blur” region on the layout. Can we somehow resize the image to fit the box and remove this region? Or scaling down the box?