Knowledge Explorer Plugin

Summary: Find and filter knowledge base topics

:link: GitHub: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-knowledge-explorer
:arrow_right: Install: Follow the plugin installation guide.

Features

The Knowledge Explorer plugin is a continuation of development on the Knowledge Explorer Theme Component.

In essence, Knowledge Explorer allows for easier surfacing of knowledge-base style topics across a defined set of categories and/or tags.

Filter the list down by tags, search via the search bar, and click on topics to see the first post – all without leaving the context of the knowledge explorer.

Need to find a knowledge base topic from somewhere else in Discourse? Use the new search helper: in:kb.

Configuration

1. Install the plugin following these instructions.
  2. Enable the plugin by turning on the knowledge explorer enabled setting.
  3. Add categories and tags to the knowledge explorer categories and knowledge explorer tags settings.
  4. Find the knowledge explorer from the hamburger menu.
    08%20PM
  5. Profit with easier access to knowledge!

CHANGELOG

• 2020-10-01T05:00:00Z Added onebox support

TODO

38 Likes

We now support oneboxing directly from Knowledge Explorer articles!

3 Likes

Can I have only certain roles see knwledge explorer in the menu?

Thanks

Is there a way to add all tags without having to pick each individual one? Could there be a wild card ?
I’m trying to use it as a true KB and eventually we’ll have a LOT of tags

Not at this time, no.

I’d recommend adding the categories you want in the knowledge explorer view. The tags on those topics will automatically populate as filters then.

3 Likes

At the moment, adding a category doesn’t automatically include child categories. Would you support a setting called something like knowledge_explorer_include_child_categories which adds an OR parent_category_id IN (?) to this query:

If so, I can try to make a PR.

1 Like

I should have looked through the code some more before posting :slight_smile: Changes would be needed in other places as well. But is the idea at least sound?

1 Like

Not at this time, no.

Could this be included in a future commit? In the same way as adding the subcategories automatically. This is not only very useful when you want to use it as a knowledge base, but also to be able to create easy-to-find instructions for moderators and administrators without disturbing other users.

Thank you in advance for answering

1 Like

If you’re not looking at locking down the KE view (which already restricts you to topics only you have access to), you could easily remove the link with a custom theme component if the user is not a moderator or admin.

I’d have to evaluate adding this into the plugin. How many subcategories are you talking? By general principle, we recommend having as few categories as possible. Some communities may not want subcategories added by default, so that’s a consideration we have to make.

Another option is to create a knowledge-base tag to add to all knowledge base topics, add that to the settings, then the categories/tags associated with those topics will be added into the filters.

5 Likes

Very clear, thanks for your answers.

3 Likes

We have a “Knowledge Base” parent category with 12 subcategories. Adding those subcategories manually is not a big deal, and we’re unlikely to create new ones very often, so having that new setting is not really necessary. I just thought that, for a site structured like ours, it made logical sense and would be a small convenience. But I do understand that every new feature is also a maintenance burden.

Thanks for the suggestion. If we ever restructure the site to replace some of the categories with tags, we’ll almost certainly have a knowledge-base tag.

2 Likes

I am considering using the the home page plugin with this and am wondering if there is a vision/workflow for this.

The main thing stopping me is there is no “New Topic” button on this page. Users would have to navigate back to the main page in order to add a new wiki article. Is there anything I can do about this or is this just not how the plugin is meant to be used?

Secondly, I noticed that when you view a topic from the plugins page, I don’t see a way for users to edit the article. You have to scroll to the bottom and click the “view the discussion on this topic” link and go to the topic and then click edit. Is this the required workflow or am I missing something?

I think this plugin looks great and I love it, I am just trying to understand how it is meant to be used. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

No, this is not how the plugin is meant to be used. The plugin is meant to be used alongside a Discourse forum, and make it easier to share and find already existing documentation spread across different categories. So it is more for easing discovery, where the topics are created and managed within their respective categories, then by adding pre-defined tags or including these topics in pre-defined categories, they can be access from the knowledge explorer.

Yes this is the expected workflow, as the plugin is a explorer of already existing topics.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info Osioke. I can work with this.

One last question, if we curated a whole bunch of content within Discouse, and should we for whatever reason need to migrate all of the information. Is this easily doable?

1 Like

You can export the database and get all the content, but you’d need to transform it from SQL to another format. Or you could scrape the content via the JSON API. There’s not anything like a direct markdown exporter however.

2 Likes