Discourse-docs: Documentation Management Plugin

Summary: Find and filter knowledge base topics

:link: GitHub: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-docs
:arrow_right: Install: Follow the plugin installation guide.

Features

The Docs plugin is a continuation of development on the Knowledge Explorer Theme Component. You can see it in action at https://meta.discourse.org/docs.

In essence, Docs allows for easier surfacing of knowledge-base style topics across a defined set of categories and/or tags.

Filter the list down by tags, search via the search bar, and click on topics to see the first post – all without leaving the context of the knowledge explorer.

Need to find a knowledge base topic from somewhere else in Discourse? Use the new search helper: in:kb.

Configuration

1. Install the plugin following these instructions.
  2. Enable the plugin by turning on the docs enabled setting.
  3. Add categories and tags to the docs categories and docs tags settings.
  4. Find the Docs link in the hamburger menu.
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 12.49.14 PM
  5. Profit with easier access to knowledge!

CHANGELOG

• 2021-01-18T06:00:00Z Rename to discourse-docs
  • 2021-01-13T06:00:00Z Add topic title and category to browser title
  • 2020-10-01T05:00:00Z Added onebox support

TODO

48 Likes

A notice of a soon-upcoming change for this plugin. We will be renaming it from Knowledge Explorer to Docs.

I have a PR ready to go, but wanted to announce here first just in case anyone has built themes/plugins which extend this. This is a breaking change and will cause issues with any extensions built on top of it.

15 Likes

This name change is complete! Please be sure to update your app.yml files to point to the new repository - https://github.com/discourse/discourse-docs.git

11 Likes

Thank you @justin for this wonderful plugin. Now I am using this plugin to show high rating knowledge topics. So I want to keep this docs page only accessible to logged in users. Is it possible to add login requirement for this plugin? Thanks.

I’m having trouble when trying to install this plugin. When I enable it in the admin and add a category to show in this interface, the link in the hamburger menu shows, but when I click on it, the interface doesn’t appear - instead I got error in the browser console:

Uncaught (in promise) Error: Could not find module `discourse-common/lib/debounce` imported from `discourse/plugins/discourse-docs/discourse/components/docs-search`

I wonder if this might be a conflict with some other plugin - besides this plugin I’m having discourse-layouts, discourse-topic-list-previews and retort.

1 Like

@c00bt00p There is not a way to specifically restrict this view to logged in members only. However, if your topic categories are restricted to trust_level_0, this will prevent anonymous users from seeing these topics.

@miloskroulik I’m going to guess this is a 3rd party plugin conflict. Please rebuild without any 3rd party plugins and see if you still have issues.

This is excellent! We’ve got a lot of FAQ topics (about 1000). Is there any way to do a nested hierarchy for docs topics?

Not at this point with the docs plugin. It was designed to be a quick and easy way to filter topics that are classified as part of a knowledge base.

2 Likes

@justin I see the same error. FYI I tried it on a fresh install with no 3rd party plugins and discourse version 2.6.0, while it works fine on another instance with discourse version 2.5.1

Okay thanks for that @leo.proctor – I’ll have a look today to see if I can reproduce.

1 Like

Are you running on stable branch by chance? I can’t reproduce this on latest, but there might be a change that’s been made since the last stable release causing the issue.

2 Likes

I am using the latest master branch. I also tried it with discourse 2.5.1 on local machine, and same error.

This instance is using older ‘discourse-knowledge-explorer’.

Try switching the line in your app.yml file to read discourse-docs, rebuild, and see if that resolves the issue for you. There may be something odd in the path used locally on the install causing the issue.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a publicly available example of Docs? I’m curious to see how it looks and feels in the wild.

1 Like

You mean like this?

https://meta.discourse.org/docs

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Docs keeps previous page position