Change the domain name or rename my Discourse?

(Nichalas Petranek) #56

i went into the app.yml and didnt find that string, even after performing a search. there is a DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME string in the file, however that already contains the correct domain name. are there any other places to look? or any other strings it would be stored under?

(Jay Pfaffman) #57

Site setting : notification email

(Nichalas Petranek) #58

That’s also already correct

(Nichalas Petranek) #59

I decided to open up the github repos for discourse and explore to see if I could find where to solve my problem. After about 20 minutes, I’ve ended up in /lib/email/message_builder.rb and found the first mention of a base_url as found in the email templates.

I’m not quite sure how to follow up on what I’ve found, as I’m trying to find where I can edit the value stored in the variable.

(Jay Pfaffman) #60

This may be a silly question, but have you rebooted your server lately? Some stuff can get cached in strange ways.

(Nichalas Petranek) #61

I’ll have it done again tonight during my forum’s natural break in activity.

I want to change my subdomain for my Discourse installation like sub1.site.com to sub2.site.com

I changed hostname in app.yml. After change, rebuild app. Now, Discourse is live again but nothing is changed. Discourse still works on sub1.site.com domain.

Where can the problem be?

I notice @bekircem asked a question that has not seen an answer, and as a basic user, I will be facing the same challenges he faced. Do we have a solution? I want to change subdomains on the same domain.

(Jay Pfaffman) #66

It’s unclear whether there is (or was) a bug or if he did something wrong. @bekircem, did you did your problem? Do you have a standard install or do you have something upstream that’s doing a reverse proxy that needs to be changed?

I am yet to start my switch, so I was reading on what’s closest to mine, and I found this one that wasn’t addressed. The tutorial at the beginning of this thread is for advanced users. Makes so many assumptions.

(Jay Pfaffman) #68

Hmm. I’ll admit that I’m an advanced user, but it didn’t strike me as making lots of assumptions.

One thing that could make it easier is that you can run disourse-setup again rather than edit the config file. I’ll see if I can do that when I’m not on my phone.

One little assumption, my install was done for me on DO.

This is my type of tutorial

(Neil Lalonde) #70

Does it work on sub2.site.com?

To make it stop loading on sub1.site.com, you should remove the DNS settings that point it to the Discourse server.

(Jay Pfaffman) #71

Ah! I bet that he’s not using https (because then there would be another problem). If https was on it’d redirect to the new domain.

(Jay Pfaffman) #72

Now I get it. Since it’s more difficult to change domains than to do the install it seems like a fair assumption that you know how to log in the the server.

Instructions for overhauling the engine assume you know how to change the oil. :slight_smile:

That is changing the engine, not the oil. But I will try understand the clean install process in the next few hours and report.

Although I realize I’m not sure whether a clean install means I get a separate droplet.

(Jide Ogunsanya) #74

can you please share the steps in re-running the set up as a way of changing the url?

(Alexander Wright) #75

You may wish to point your old name at a remapping server that returns a 301 HTTP redirect to your new server.

(Sora &\) #78

Hellow everone,
I change address from bdser.vn to matbangchinhchu.com.vn

• i submit site map sucess 2 website to google.
  • I redirect 301 bdser.vn on Cloudflare by Page rule to matbangchinhchu.com.vn

Now, i wanna notice change address on Google at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/change-address but in step 2: can’t check.I get error:

We couldn’t crawl your site. Check that Googlebot can crawl the root of your site using the Fetch as Google tool.

help me!

(Sora &\) #79