Discourse-docs: Documentation Management Plugin

Summary: Find and filter knowledge base topics

:link: GitHub: https://github.com/discourse/discourse-docs
:arrow_right: Install: Follow the plugin installation guide.

Features

The Docs plugin is a continuation of development on the Knowledge Explorer Theme Component. You can see it in action at https://meta.discourse.org/docs.

In essence, Docs allows for easier surfacing of knowledge-base style topics across a defined set of categories and/or tags.

Filter the list down by tags, search via the search bar, and click on topics to see the first post – all without leaving the context of the knowledge explorer.

Need to find a knowledge base topic from somewhere else in Discourse? Use the new search helper: in:kb.

Configuration

1. Install the plugin following these instructions.
  2. Enable the plugin by turning on the docs enabled setting.
  3. Add categories and tags to the docs categories and docs tags settings.
  4. Find the Docs link in the hamburger menu.
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 12.49.14 PM
  5. Profit with easier access to knowledge!

CHANGELOG

• 2021-01-18T06:00:00Z Rename to discourse-docs
  • 2021-01-13T06:00:00Z Add topic title and category to browser title
  • 2020-10-01T05:00:00Z Added onebox support

TODO

57 Likes

A notice of a soon-upcoming change for this plugin. We will be renaming it from Knowledge Explorer to Docs.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-knowledge-explorer/pull/27

I have a PR ready to go, but wanted to announce here first just in case anyone has built themes/plugins which extend this. This is a breaking change and will cause issues with any extensions built on top of it.

17 Likes

This name change is complete! Please be sure to update your app.yml files to point to the new repository - https://github.com/discourse/discourse-docs.git

13 Likes

You can use attribute selectors to target specific categories.

So, to hide that category, for example, you can use something like this.

.category-list [data-category-id="10"] {
  display: none;
}

Change the category id to the one you want to target.

8 Likes

Here you go!

6 Likes

Only the first post is shown in the Docs view. For example, this topic is here in Docs.

You can control who is able to assign tags with min trust to create tag and min trust level to tag topics and because you can decide which tags are included in Docs you can, in effect, control who creates the Doc post.

If you use designated categories for Docs, you can similarly control who gets to add a Doc topic via the category security settings.

5 Likes

Right now when you add Docs to the Top Menu and then click on it within a Category, Discourse takes you to the general Docs page. I’d LOVE if clicking on Docs in the top menu of a category takes you to Docs pre-filtered by that category. To me, that’s expected behavior.

1 Like

Docs plugin page as the homepage

Reason is that we really like the layout of categories followed by search and filtering next to results/latest.

I was able use homepage-for-groups to do this.

4 Likes

Can we change the link to some other name like say Knowledge Base instead of just Docs?

1 Like

Yes, it’s localized so you can look up the string under Admin → Customize → Text and make changes there

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard of this before. Very nice. Thanks.

2 Likes

Can we change the path of docs from the base or only with redirects?

1 Like

Unfortunately only with redirects. It’s hardcoded in Rails.

2 Likes

Thanks, and there could be possible to serve Docs in a private subdomain (docs.discourse.org) and keep the discussions pulled from another subdomain that have Discourse running with Docs?

The point is not to show meta.discourse.org/c/blablabla and show docs.discourse.org/url-alias-pulled-from-title instead.

Discussion keeps into meta.discourse.org/c/blablabla. I don’t know if Google could penalize or something like that.

Well I see that you are using sub-categories to organize Discourse Meta Docs page and Cards theme component (I edited some questions here that I found later).

2 Likes